IGNORED

speedometer cable routing

sweatybetty

Thanks Grannyknot, and, yes, the car sits on a mat of indoor/outdoor carpeting.  "Clean" is my 

mantra.

sweatybetty, the only shielding for the speedo cable is the orange rubber tubing that the cable

passes through.  I assume it protects the cable from chafing from vibration as well as a degree

of heat protection from the engine and exhaust.

Edited by AZ-240z

the orange tubing is OE on the 71 models?

neither of the earlier cars I have show this covering... maybe it's covered in grime. one is really bad.

are there any aftermarket cables that have the spring wrap around the transmission end?

also: firewall grommets. both cars i have access to at the shop have the firewall grommets inverted from how you have them here:

Speedometer Cable Routing 007.JPG

they're installed as innies instead of outies... hmmmm

Edited by Careless

On 18-8-2016 at 5:26 AM, sweatybetty said:

thank you both! very helpful. i see some type of shielding from the steering shaft over the bell housing. was this for heat protection from the exhaust?

thank you both:D

As far s I can tell, its heat protection for the section near the exhaust. It is not the original cable, but it is a genuine nissan cable I managed to get in 2012. The cable follows the route of the old one I replaced. Im regreting not replacing the grommet when I did. It fell apart shortly after fitting the cable.