IGNORED

Clutch Size

Gary L

The "clutch chatter" on my 76 280Z 2+2 is getting worse and so I guess its time to replace the clutch. A prior owner put a 5sp trany in it from a later model zx (81-83). I know there were 2 different size clutches, the 2+2 being a little larger. My question is; I'd like to order a clutch kit ahead of taking things apart, if the trany came from a zx coupe instead of a zx 2+2, does it matter so I can be sure I need to order the 2+2 clutch? Also, some clutch kits like the ones below from ebay also include a new flywheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FX-HEAVY-DUTY-CLUTCH-KIT-FLYWHEEL-for-75-83-DATSUN-NISSAN-280Z-280ZX-2-2-/151252214731?fits=Year%3A1976|Make%3ADatsun|Model%3A280Z|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.8L&hash=item233755a3cb:g:3n4AAOSwlfxXGqB9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FX-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-HD-FLYWHEEL-fits-75-83-DATSUN-NISSAN-280Z-280ZX-2-2-/151268857509?fits=Model%3A280Z&hash=item23385396a5:g:Pv4AAOSwKfVXGqvX&vxp=mtr

Does it make sense to replace the flywheel also.  And these prices seem low. Are these kits OK. I drive pretty conservative these days so I don't need a heavy duty racing clutch.

I want to order these parts ahead of time and because I don't have a lift, I'll be having my mechanic install the kit.

I'm not really familiar with this stuff so any advice is appreciated.

Gary

The $100 Exedy kit from amazon.com is what ive put in 2 of my Zs. Great clutch in my opinion.

There's a way to make the pedal rod longer to get every bit of use out of a clutch. Top of the pedal to the floorboard is close to 9".  If it's not make that push rod longer and it'll bring the pedal up. Another thing is bleed the slave cylinder. If the tranny came out of a coupe it should be 225mm except for a turbo. They're 240mm like the 2+2.  If it were mine and I didn't know for sure I'd drop the transmission,  measure then order the kit. amazon.com gets to me in 3 days, sometimes 2 for free. For a little extra money you can get it the next day.

You'd have to assume that the PO kept the original 2+2 flywheel.  Odds are good that it's still the bigger 240mm 2+2 clutch.  But, chatter is often a sign that the flywheel friction surface is uneven.  So, you might need a flywheel resurface.  These days, a resurface might cost more than a replacement flywheel.  Strange but true, depending on your location, labor costs can be high.  You could call around about the cost of resurfacing then decide whether to get a replacement flywheel.  If you end up getting a replacement then you have more options.  Although the factory parts are of high quality.

Can't you find decent parts in the neighborhood?  Why go to eBay if you don't have to?  Then you can swap easily them if they're not right.  The 240mm flywheels and clutch kits are still fairly common.  The 225mm flywheels are hard to find.

Because I'm having a mechanic do the work, I wanted to get the parts ahead of time so I don't tie up his lift waiting for parts. The local NAPA and other parts stores in my area don't seem to stock much any more for the z and zx so I think I'll end up ordering them online, if not from ebay, then rockauto, amazon, or ...... I asked about the flywheel being included with the above kits since mine might be scored or warped, etc. I'm sure their quality isn't as good as oem, but I don't think any place in my area does that kind of machine work to resurface it. And I do think I have an oil issue either with the rear main or trany input shaft seal so I was also going to pick those up to have them ready in case, unless its the rear main cap side seals which would be a pain. Otherwise, isn't the rear main seal on these engines a one piece? As Zed Head mentioned, hopefully I'm safe assuming the PO kept the original 2+2 size.

I think you are rolling the dice on whether the 2+2 flywheel is still present. I would think if he gets into and doesn't have the right parts he could roll it off the lift by suspending the rear of the motor. Or you could order both parts from Rockauto and return what you don't need, I do this sometimes when I get into these situations. A little more freight but you are likely to have what you need either way...

Many parts stores will gladly bring in extra parts to have on hand if they might make a sale.  Does't really hurt them, their warehouse trucks won't notice a few extra pounds.  Doesn't hurt to ask.  They'd probably let you buy both and return the one you don't use.  OR, your mechanic might be able to get them both on hand.  Mechanics have connections.  Don't assume that you need the internet.  Seriously, if your mechanic has been in business for a while, he should have the answers to all of your questions, including the resurfacing.  He may not want to do the running around but he should know.  Have you asked?

Aside from that, it would be a sad comment on the state of industry in America if a guy in MICHIGAN, the former heartland of the automotive world, can't get a flywheel resurfaced.

The crankshaft seal is one piece, press-fit.

I will talk with the mechanic about the resurfacing and some of the parts stores about ordering both. I may be in MICHIGAN, but I'm way up in the upper peninsula, far far away from the motor city.  Thanks guys for all the info and ideas.