IGNORED

No Good Deed...

jfa.series1

...Goes Unpunished!

A few weeks ago I swapped out the transmission fluid for the magic elixir ACDelco Friction Modified stuff.  And it seems the transmission is shifting more smoothly.  I guess that stuff is really slippery as I've now developed a fluid leak at the speedometer cable right where the black housing is fitted into the pressed collar.  I guess a new speedometer cable is called for, right?  Is it normal for this connection to have transmission fluid present or is there some other seal I should also be replacing?

Thanks,

Jim

Cable.jpg

All done, Cliff's newspaper leak check is in progress.  Courtesy (10 min. from my house) had the parts in stock.  Check out the list price on that shaft seal :o.  The young parts desk guy was funny - "Uh oh, my system doesn't go that far back."  Me: "That's why you need David or Butch."  Parts guy: "Yeah, let me get this info to Butch in the back".  Heaven help us all if Butch and David don't train these new guys on how to look up parts in the old catalog.

Cliff - your extract and install tips were spot on!  My machinist's scribe has a right-angle point and was perfect for pulling out the old seal.  A long 11mm socket was the perfect install tool.  A bit of anti-seize allowed everything to slip right into place.

Thanks again to you both for great assistance.

Jim

Courtesy Receipt.jpg

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 1

On July 28, 2016 at 5:32 PM, siteunseen said:

that's the thread with the info Steve posted above. I had to go back and read through it.  Steve is the Man!

Boy, when it rains it pours. Seems like everybody's crapped out around the same time. LOL

Yep....My 280ZX 5 speed speedo cog gear in the 73 is leaking too. Just received the two seals from Motorsports......appreciate all the info:D

Just replaced the seal and O ring in the speedo gear. No leak so far. BTW.....that little inside seal has a direction to be installed. If you look closely, the lips of the inner seal need to be facing into the transmission.....just like any other seal.