IGNORED

Brake drum plug - alternatives?

sdyck

Hi, finishing up a rear suspension rebuild and noticed I'm missing one of the rear brake drum inspection plugs.  I see that a replacement is available but they are about $16.00 for two when I add in shipping to Canada its about $36.00.  Has anyone found an alternative that fits? I took a look at my local auto parts stores and came up with nothing.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by sdyck
adding more info

7 hours ago, Martzedcars said:

I've seen brakedrums with a peace of lead in those inspection holes...

Mine had those lead plugs too.  I googled that and found this, don't know if it's the truth but they are there for some reason.

Re: brake drum plugs

Early Zs (70>76) had the rubber plug to allow access to the starwheel adjuster. Later Zs (77>78) had a different cylinder and adjusting arrangement so that the outer rubber plug became unnecessary. But since all the drums were the same, it didn't pay to redesign for 77>78. The lead plug is for balancing.

Interesting. My early 74 has lead plugs. Maybe one of the POs replaced them. Something that doesn't make sense about the lead replacement used for balancing. Seems to me that the small piece of lead would weigh more than the rubber plug. Nice to finally learn what the hole in the drum was used for. Duh! Forty three years around Zs and I'm still learning. Thanks.

seems impossible...(to get to without taking off that wheel..)

I also thought it is UNbalancing the wheel with that lead.. can one balance a brakedrum and put some lead in that one spot and make it balance? I don't think so...

10 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

im curious as to how this is done.

It's pretty simple.  Take the hubcap off and line up the hole in the drum with a slot on the wheel.  Insert a screwdriver and turn the wheel until your hand brake is tight when it's half way up.  I've done it, should be super simple for you. 

4 hours ago, Martzedcars said:

seems impossible...(to get to without taking off that wheel..)

I also thought it is UNbalancing the wheel with that lead.. can one balance a brakedrum and put some lead in that one spot and make it balance? I don't think so...

I found a thread explaining the lead plug in my rear brake drum.  It's there, you tell me why and what it's purpose is and I'll go by what you say.

19 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

It's pretty simple.  Take the hubcap off and line up the hole in the drum with a slot on the wheel.  Insert a screwdriver and turn the wheel until your hand brake is tight when it's half way up.  I've done it, should be super simple for you. 

i didnt know there is a hole in the drum. the only adjustments ive ever seen were through the back plate. this is my first import ;)