IGNORED

Smog Fail - headers and EGR

DoubleYOOHZ

Hello Zs,

My car is now running again. It is a 1977 datsun 280z. Here in california, there are some questionable smog laws. It was sitting non op but I was able to get a temporary vehicle moving papers. I ran over to get my car smogged at one of the local shops. In the initial visual inspection, it had failed. It had aftermarket headers along with missing EGRs. The owner that I purchased this from said it was bone stock besides the removal of the catalytic converter (he turned it into a straight pipe) with new exhaust. I was completely dumbfounded... 

I want to daily this vehicle. Would it be just as simple as removing the headers and installing a EGR system? I dont want this to be a money hole. Someone from California with any advice? 

The visual part is that simple.  Get the right parts bolted on so everything looks right.  Getting it all working correctly might take some work.  The 1977 system is pretty simple though, unlike the later ZX systems.  Fewer valves and gizmos to worry about.

What did the shop recommend as far as exhaust manifold / header goes?

I believe I mentioned in your last thread that I run an exhaust header with the egr and tube and is hooked up and working. No smog issues. I pass with flying colors. 

I'd be willing to bet you failed due to lack of egr not the header. Need more details. Exactly why you failed. No guessing as to why. Also would recommend going to a shop that knows these cars.

I know how to read the smog results so post a pic of that as well.

The shop said that the headers on my vehicle was illegal to operate on california roads. The EGR device was removed by the previous owner and the shop said it was a requirement for the smog to pass. I did not have the EGR installed on the motor because that was how I bought. This is all new to me at the moment and I am a little disappointed that my prior research was minuscule. I will try to post a picture of the header and "no EGR" device in an hour. 

Edited by DoubleYOOHZ

Below there are some pictures of the headers and missing EGR device. Headers are a little hard to see but from what the smog people told me, OEM headers must have some stamp that is visible for the inspector to see. These two are the reasons why I failed the visual inspection test. I honestly do not know what type of aftermarket headers these are. There are no labels. I will lift the car up to see if there are any labels on the bottom. 

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

I think it's called a CARB sticker or stamp.  It means the part has been approved as a replacement part.  If you can find a brand it might be on their list.  Still need the plumbing to the EGR valve.  At least you have the correct intake manifold.  The black plate at the back with the two bolts is where the valve used to be.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Air_Resources_Board

Yeah you need to get a muffler shop(?) to install a bung on the header to accept an egr tube. Or replace the header with a stock manifold (if you can find one in descent shape), or a header with an egr bung already welded on. I know MSA sells them.

As far as smog goes it must be the county you live in because I have no issues here in Ventura county and I was told that this county is more strict than any others. The other thing is the color (silver) of your header and the fact the heat shield between the intake and the header is missing. That hides most of the header. Maybe if you can find one of those and install it along with the egr and tube and paint the header black it may help your situation. You haven't said whether you failed strictly because of visual or a combo of visual and tail pipe emissions. Need that info as well. I'm assuming at this time its due to visual only.

Maybe contact the PO and ask if he still has the old parts.

Also, download a copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the year of your car. The link is in my signature. There is a section on emissions.

You can find some of the parts you'll need at Rockauto.com. Some you'll need to scrounge around for used parts.

Once you manage to get past the visual inspection, DO NOT get an official test. The smog station should allow you to do a practice run pre-test so you can see where your car is at. POST THE RESULTS. We can advise you on what needs to be done.

If you get an official test and fail, you risk your car being labelled as a gross polluter. You don't want that if you're going to make it a daily.

Edited by SteveJ
Found the right term

I think you are right Zed Head. The stamp or sticker was the point the inspector was stressing about. I Could not visually see a brand listed on the header. I need to go under and see. 

Woudnt running this vehicle with this header be technically illegal still even if i installed a bung on the egr tube? I am having no luck finding stock OEM headers. I know MSA sells some headers with smog fitment but it says it may not be CARB compliant. I am in Sac/Yolo county. I failed the inspection test and they did not proceed with the smog "sniffler" test. Being that I had bought this car years ago, I do not know if the PO of the PO would remember. 

Thanks Stevej, 

I believe I need the stock headers and not the manifolds. On the Zstore, they sell aftermarket (not sure CARB compliant) headers. 

EDIT.

Exhaust manifold = headers? They are both the same thing?

Edited by DoubleYOOHZ