IGNORED

260Z Choke Assembly Work in a 1973 240Z Center Console?

calspyderman

Hi guys,

Just bought a 1973 with a re-done interior and center console in good shape.  But there is an empty slot where the choke handle would normally be (car has triple Mikunis so previous owner probably just yanked it).  Am out looking for Series 2 240Z choke assembly with handle and cables, wondering if anyone knows if the 260z choke assembly will also work - they look almost identical.  Also, anyone know what is supposed to go over the holes to the right of the choke lever slot?

Thanks

P1040332.jpg

11-J4101-Choke-cable-assembly-for-Datsun-240Z-Seies-2-2_grande.png

large113104.jpg

That should bolt right up. If you carefully look to the right about 3" and down 1" from where the throttle rod comes through the firewall there is a marked place for the shorter cables to go through the firewall. Sort of a stamped circle that matches the rubber piece that brings the cables through the firewall. You will have to use a hole saw to open it up and put a rubber plug in the old hole, but it's do-able. I did it and believe me the shorter cables will prevent broken choke lever handles. Be sure your console isn't broken where the lever mount is. If it is you will need to repair it and make a metal plate to reinforce it. See the videos by Z Therapy. They have one for just this repair. I did this repair also as the long cables in the '73/'74's ended up getting gunked up and became very hard to operate causing the console to break where the lever assembly was screwed in to it. There is also an alternative way to mount the lever assembly to the trans. tunnel under the console. Search the threads here and you will find it. Have fun.

Cheers, Mike

The holes on the 260z choke lever bracket are in a slightly different position than the 240z. I tried to mount mine to one of the aftermarket transmission tunnel metal plates and it would not fit without modification. I ended up using a 240z choke lever bracket with the 260z cables. I think you would have the same issue trying to mount a 260z choke lever bracket to a 240z centre console.

• 7 months later...

Did you ever find a working solution to this?  I have a 260Z and a cracked center console. I am looking for a mounting plate to avoid breaking the new console.  Does anyone know if this plate will fit the 260 with the choke mounted near the drivers leg?  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Need some advice. I thought I'd help a fellow Z owner out and install a choke cable for him on his 11/72 240z. Removed the console, ordered a nice choke cable for him and "Holly $^!#" no hole fin the firewall for the cable gromet. I didn't know they made a 240 that didn't have a choke cable.

Any suggestions? I can cut a hole in the firewall but cutting on another guy's Z is iffy.

Jerry

There was a change in the choke cable routing in the early years. I don't remember if the early routing was on the right or left side of the firewall. As I recall there was also a slight difference in the cable length too. There should be a hole there either on the left or right side.

Need some advice. I thought I'd help a fellow Z owner out and install a choke cable for him on his 11/72 240z. Removed the console, ordered a nice choke cable for him and "Holly $^!#" no hole fin the firewall for the cable gromet. I didn't know they made a 240 that didn't have a choke cable.

Any suggestions? I can cut a hole in the firewall but cutting on another guy's Z is iffy.

Jerry

Thanks for the insight, I was afraid I was going to have to drill a hole

Hi Jerry, If you look very carefully with good light  near the brake booster just to the right and under the throttle assembly you will possibly find an indented circular mark. It's small, but it's there. On my '73 I moved the cables from the right side to the left side like on earlier models ( I used the old hole for an A/C hose.) I had to cut a hole in the firewall for the new cable routing. There was an indented circular mark where the cables ran on earlier cars. I also had to shorten the cables as they no longer needed to go over the valve/cam cover.  an 11/72 car may have had the cables on the right side as that is very close to 1973 model year. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike