IGNORED

Locking Gas Cap Solution for S30 that works

zKars

Recently a thread appeared that discussed locking gas caps, or more specifically the lack of a solution. The only known cap (from 70's BMW 2002) fits and appears to lock, but doesn't actually lock to the car.

I was able to come up with a solution that modifies the fuel filler ring to allow the locking tab on the BMW cap to have a place to lock against.

My locking gas cap solution works for the Z's up to the 74 260.  The key is to look and see how many screws hold the filler ring to the body. If it has three screws, the solution is simple. If it has four, then the solution still works but is more difficult to implement. 

Note this solution does not work on the smaller caps found on 77-78 280's.  

I have a small collection of fuel filler rings that I have modified to work with the BMW locking caps that can offer for sale. I can paint, powder coat or have them CAD plated.

I also made a pretty good deal on some of these locking gas caps. This allows me to offer a complete solution at a pretty good price.

I'm asking $99 USD for a modified powder coated filler neck ring + new locking BMW cap with 2 keys AND a new hand made rubber gas cap protection flap. Shipping is on you. While supplies last.

Here is what I am doing so can understand the value of what I'm offering for the $$.

Sandblast the filler ring, weld on the lock stop blob in "just" the right spot. Do a little hammer work around the inside ID to open it slightly so the cap fits better. Powder coat. The new locking caps I just bought need a little shining up to look good, so a quick trip past the buffing wheel. The two locator tabs on these new caps are slightly long and don't fit into our filler ring as is, so grind off a tad of their length and dress them up. Test fit. Slice up a new rubber flap. Package and ship.

You will have to use the flat rubber sealing ring from your old stock cap in place of the BMW sealing ring. It's too thin.

One interesting note. There are two different outer diameters of the filler neck rings. Same bolt circle and same size where the cap fits, just the outer diameter of the mounting flange is different by about 1/8". Early and Late? The caps with the pie crust edge (early non-vented) verses the caps with the angle iron handle (late)? Anybody know for sure? If you care, let me know which one you want. 

If you have a 280 and have a four screw filler neck, you have to remove the entire neck and its one-piece upper hose tubing (see above pics) to do the "mod" to get the cap to fit. If you want to know what to do, let me know, I'll share a solution to add the "stop" to make the BMW cap work. If you're really desparate send me your neck I'll do it. I can supply the BMW locking cap or tell you where to get one. 

You can contact best by dropping me an email to z240@shaw.ca. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Pictures of the items in question follow.

• Like 1

This is BMW locking gas cap.

image.jpeg

Unlocked. Tab at 2 oclock is retracted.

image.jpeg

Locked. Tab at 2 oclock is extended.

image.jpeg

Some fuel filler rings with color choices 

image.jpeg

The back side with the welded on blob at the right spot to give the locking cap tab a place to lock behind

image.jpeg

The rubber flaps that I can supply. 1/32" thick new rubber.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Most people would just make a new post with one word, "Bump", but no, not me....

Really? Not a soul? Hello, anybody out there? Is it me? I showered this morning, come on!

Don't you people realize the risk you're taking? There are evil people out there right now with bags of sugar or those siphon pumps you can buy for almost nothing at any auto part store just searching for their next victim. You've seen the zombie shows, they're EVERYWHERE. 

Oh I get it, I showed you where to put the blob and revealed the cap part number, so you are all out there buying your own caps and trying to get some little blobs of solder or JB weld (that $hit fixes anything, right?)  to stick to your fuel filler rings. Fine. If you try welding that blob on with the filler ring still on your car, don't blame ME when it all goes KABOOM. 

Fine then, I'm going to advertise on that FaceBook thing and all of THOSE folks will buy my caps and shiny filler rings. They aren't as smart or mature as you guys. Don't come crying to me when all the cheap ones I bought are gone or BWM finally sells their last one. How many caps do you think they have for the nearly extinct 45 year old cars these fit, anyway?  

Humph, maybe I should have paid more for those "how to sell stuff on the Internet classes". Maybe it IS me.....

I'd be interested but I don't want to go through the hassle of removing the filler neck.  I'd guess that many others are avoiding it also.  I even spent time devising a way to add a narrow unleaded filler neck inside my existing filler neck so that I wouldn't have to remove it.  Fuel tank work is a major pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a short step-by-step explanation of the re-and-re process (photos are nice) would encourage more tire-kickers viewers to become buyers?   Maybe Grannyknot can do this as he works through his installation.

As discussed yesterday at Z-Fest, this may be more about preventing bad stuff from going into the tank, rather than good stuff coming out of the tank.