IGNORED

76 Locking Gas Cap

Mark Maras

RedBird is having a bit of trouble with the new system so i'm asking for her. She is in need of a locking gas cap for RB, a 76 280 ASAP. Does anyone know if anything is available cheap and quick? It appears that Stant doesn't make one for the 76. What years are compatible with the 76? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

After being on Stant's website, they evidently don't make one. If they don't I wouldn't know where to go next....

The other option would be to get an older gas lid with the chrome thumb latch. They made keyed locks that also fit the fuel tank door. I know they are findable if not domestically then in Aus or Japan. If you decide to go that route I can help you look...

C

Thanks, I didn't know anyone made a lockable twist knob for the older cap covers. I'll forward that info to Jai (RedBird). I have a spare cover

with the twist knob (wrong color). She may be halfway to a lockable fuel tank already. I'll let you know if she wants to go that route.

The guys with the hoses will just bend/break the lid open.  One other problem with the lockable caps is that they're tall.  They won't fit under the lid.  Probably have to do some body work to make a truly functional lockable cap.

I've spent some time pondering mine.  I've already converted it to leaded fuel only style, so that the nozzle won't fall out when filling, but also thought about gas thieves.  Not many options.  She might get a "diesel fuel only" sticker just to throw off any gas thieves.

31 minutes ago, rossiz said:

2 questions:

1. is she looking for a lockable filler cap or the door?
  2. i may have a cap from my 78 that came w/the car in my pile of parts, will it work on the 76?

The 78 cap won't work on the 76.

2 hours ago, rossiz said:

2 questions:

1. is she looking for a lockable filler cap or the door?
  2. i may have a cap from my 78 that came w/the car in my pile of parts, will it work on the 76?

She's looking for any method to lock it.  First idea was a locking gas cap. Seemed cheap and simple but it appears no one makes one for the large diameter filler. Patcon brought up the locking door in post #2. A keyed lock that replaces the old style chrome twist knob is evidently available.

The reason for the lockable gas cap isn't gas theft. Vandalism is the concern.