KiraK

Hi all!

As some of you know, I have a persimmon 72 240z with white interior- original. Hoping someone can assist me with tracking down the paint code for the grey color paint for the grill and the rear surround plate around the tail light?

Thanks much for you assistance!

K

The lil z lady :)

Edited by KiraK
Misspelling

If you do it right and remove the rear finisher you'll need two different size push pins. The big ones on top and two smalls behind the tag. You may be able to reuse the old ones if you're careful and able to find the center pins. Those on top are hard to find.

I've got both style Nissan part numbers at home, if you need them let me know. 

• Like 1

Les sells spray cans for $28 or so.  I have used that exact Dupli-Color for a heater cover plate in my house.  Excellent paint.  I sprayed over a primer base coat.  I found that it was difficult to get a uniform color finish which seemed to be the thickness and drying rate of the paint.  Some areas of the spray pattern were darker than other areas.  Streaks.  I finally got the finish I wanted and it looks great.  I'm usually pretty good with spray cans.  The color is just one of those!

That's funny you mention that! I bet I sanded and painted that finisher panel 3 or 4 times until I was happy enough with it. Then when I sprayed the clear matte finish to knock the sheen down, it blended in and turned even better. The camera shows more reflection than in person. It really looks like a suede finish to me. I did the front grille the same way. Both cans were probably $15 or so. You need to tape off the stainless/chrome looking strip around it too.

If you take it off, the bottom is held in place with built in clips on the car under the taillights.

Easy job that helps the looks in my opinion, front grille and rear light finisher.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Classic Zcar Club mobile app

I lost my point to the OP. I totally agree with 26thZ, this paint has some glittery looking particules that will sag together if you hold it vertically. They'll pool together if you do too heavy of a coat laying flat.

Very light coats with the piece laying flat. If I ever do another one. 8^)

Sent from my SM-S765C using Classic Zcar Club mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:03 PM, 26th-Z said:

Les sells spray cans for $28 or so.  I have used that exact Dupli-Color for a heater cover plate in my house.  Excellent paint.  I sprayed over a primer base coat.  I found that it was difficult to get a uniform color finish which seemed to be the thickness and drying rate of the paint.  Some areas of the spray pattern were darker than other areas.  Streaks.  I finally got the finish I wanted and it looks great.  I'm usually pretty good with spray cans.  The color is just one of those!

Just getting ready to re-paint the tail light finisher on my 7'70 that is currently satin black and I found a very close matching Dupli-Color paint that is not a metallic finish, It is a Ford color called Dark Shadow Gray. In Canada it is  Dupli-Clor number CBFM0360.

For a test I did a partial paint to the inside of a tail light finisher half from my 12/70 parts car that was the original grey.  I also did a test on a old license plate light body. I used two coats of paint and two coats of the Dupli-Color matte clear.  Here are the results comparing to one of my un-restored original hubcaps that are only brought out for shows.

IMG_5174.JPG

Here is a close up showing the new paint at the top and the original paint at the bottom, I'm quite happy with the results. The paint not being metallic makes the job much more forgiving.

IMG_5173.JPG

And here is the license plate light body with new paint compared to the un-restored hub cap:

IMG_5176.JPG

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3