IGNORED

HLS30-01121 Gets A New Life

CHL240Z

In my opinion, if your intention is to store the L24, I wouldn't do a thing to it other than keep it oiled, rotate / turn it occasionally, and store it in a dry place. In other words, I wouldn't refresh / restore it and then box it up and let it sit. This will allow the next owner, or another version of you in a few years, to have the ultimate in flexibility regarding what they do with the original engine. 

Enjoy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CHL240Z said:

I also ordered Chrome Front and Rear Bumpers from MSA as well as all attaching hardware.

IMG_1122.JPG

Nice work and lots of goodies to keep you occupied for a while!

One question: Any reason in particular you decided on the bumpers from MSA and not the ones available from other vendors (Black Dragon, Harrington, etc)?

12 hours ago, CHL240Z said:

I also ordered Chrome Front and Rear Bumpers from MSA as well as all attaching hardware.

you may want to consider getting some stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts and washers (i think 5/16, but better check) and in 1 min. on the polish wheel they'll match the chrome beautifully and you won't wind up w/the typical rust around these fasteners. chrome bumper bolts just never seem to hold up - once you torque 'em the chrome cracks/flakes and they all rust much quicker than the bumper. also, consider cleaning the back/inside surface of the bumpers and spraying in a coat of good black epoxy paint. the bumpers always seem to rust out from the back, probably because they hold moisture/dirt at the rougher interior surface. i had a beautiful new futofab front bumper that got dinged after a few months on the car and when i replaced it i noticed slight surface rust starting at the back side. mine is a dd and i do drive year round in the seattle rain.

just a couple tips to keep it looking sharp for years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonathanrussell said:

In my opinion, if your intention is to store the L24, I wouldn't do a thing to it other than keep it oiled, rotate / turn it occasionally, and store it in a dry place.

I agree with Jonathan and from recent experience I can add another thought.  I rebuilt my 2.4 then it sat for about 9 months on an engine stand.  The thought of new rings on the newly honed cylinder walls got me thinking about turning the motor over without the rings being seated.  The walls have very fine ridges that should be worn down to match the rings during break-in, not turning the motor with a ratchet and socket.  They'll also get a slight bit of flash rust  My $.02 

engineblock.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossiz said:

you may want to consider getting some stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts and washers (i think 5/16, but better check) and in 1 min. on the polish wheel they'll match the chrome beautifully and you won't wind up w/the typical rust around these fasteners. chrome bumper bolts just never seem to hold up - once you torque 'em the chrome cracks/flakes and they all rust much quicker than the bumper.

Hi Clay,

Just a heads-up on bolts for your car, stainless steel especially. The local Marshall's Hardware in Mira Mesa has just about any fastener you could possibly need. It is one of my most favorite places on earth and I visit there all the time.  It makes Home Depot or Auto Part stores look like a push cart by comparison.  Here is the website. http://www.marshallshardware.com/

Rich

• Like 1

@jonathanrussell I have also thought about not doing anything to the L24 and just rebuild/refresh when and if it ever goes back into the car.  I think you and @siteunseen may be right.  Here is the question I am contemplating.  Would it be OK to separate the different pieces and store them separately?  I say this because I can easily find shelf space for them in the garage.  I would leave the bottom end together and in a wood crate completely sealed as well as the head in a smaller wood crate completely sealed.  All the attachments (smog pump, alternator...) would be boxed up individually and also placed on the shelf.  Thoughts??

@dmoralesbello I would like to say that I had investigated the different products and polled the Z community but that would just be untrue.  This is how my decision making probably went down at the time.  Now keep in mind I already wanted 1 piece bumpers for both front and rear, that were chromed.  So here it goes.  "Oh cool there are the bumpers I need!!!  *CLICK* add to cart, *Click* Pay Now." LOL I know I should not impulse shop at midnight on a Saturday and I should really do a comparison between different companies, but on this occasion I just took the leap.  I have had wonderful experiences with MSA and this transaction was no different.  What are your thoughts on Black Dragon and Harrington?

@rossiz I am with you.  I had already bought the SS Kit from Z Car Source and it has all the bolts and stuff for the bumpers.  I had not thought about using the polish wheel or painting the inside of the bumpers.  You have definitely given me some food for thought.  Thank you.

@motorman7 Rich, great info thank you.  I know these kits probably do not have every single nut and bolt that I need so I will definitely be looking at Marshall's Hardware.

This kit contains the SS Bolts for the Front Bumper.

IMG_1145.JPG  

This kit contains the SS Bolts for the Rear Bumper

IMG_1144.JPG

Here are the other kits that I have:

IMG_1147.JPGIMG_1148.JPGIMG_1149.JPGIMG_1146.JPG

I appreciate the feedback that everyone is giving thank you all very much.  However, none has still guessed what special part I just lucked into on Yahoo Auctions from Japan. 

Clay

@Patcon the fogging spray sounds interesting.  Have you ever used any and what brand was it?  Was it a good product.  Sorry for all the questions but I really do want to take care of the L24 even though it isn't going back into 1121 right now.  Thank you for your input.

Clay

Here is the "special part" that is coming from Yahoo Auctions.  I know it is not original but have been looking for this for 3 years and honestly did not think it would ever be attainable.

Watanabe Falcon

FullSizeRender.jpg

55 minutes ago, CHL240Z said:

"I have had wonderful experiences with MSA and this transaction was no different.  What are your thoughts on Black Dragon and Harrington? "

My experiences with MSA have generally been very good but there are occasions when the same item can be purchased from Black Dragon for considerably less mulah. I don't know who manufactures the bumpers for MSA (perhaps you can enlighten us from what's written on your boxes) or Black Dragon. They might share manufacturers so quality might be the same (maybe someone here can chime in). Both companies charge $350 for the rear and $350 for the front plus shipping cost (about $800 total cost). Harrington's bumpers are polished SS steel (not chrome plated steel) made in Vietnam and generally have very good reviews with few exceptions. They actually seem to have improved their quality lately according to some reviews but they cost $1,084 including shipping from Vietnam. There are several threads that compare polished SS and chrome plated steel so I won't get into that.

I think the question that remains is in relation to the MSA and Black Dragon bumpers: Are they the same or is there a difference in quality?

Edited by dmoralesbello