IGNORED

240z floor panel deadener?

jalexquijano

Just went to the shop where my 1972 240z is being painted and found that beneath the carpet and over the floor pans there is some type of rotten carpet. Can anyone identify this type of carpet and if it consists of a road sound deadener? Isnt there  a more modern approach of any other material to replace them after the floors are primed, protected with POR 15 and painted?

IMG_20160317_142249.jpg

IMG_20160317_142256.jpg

W

16 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

is this called JUTE?

Jute is a natural plant based fiber.  Although you have called it carpet, what you show in the photos is the carpet PAD, not the carpet.  Your car, your choice about what you want to put UNDER your carpet.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

I got a roll of insulating material to go under the carpet, about  3 ft. wide x 6 ft. long at PEP Boys. Has quilted aluminum foil both sides and some insulation inside. Cut to fit. Works much better than the jute to keep heat from exhaust pipe away from floor at driver seat.

On a hot day, I thought it smelled like someone had been smoking pot in my car, but the smell was coming from the old jute. Not a bad smell really.

Stanley -- Did you scrap and/or try to remove any of the crap that is baked onto the interior of the floorpan before your rolled material went on?  I'm planning out my interior renovation and debating how much to strip it down.

I didn't. It wasn't too bad; the jute came up easily and I didn't care about the few small tarry spots. The (?) original paint was OK so I didn't want to scrape it off. Turpentine would probably take the tar right off, though. Then you'd have to get rid of the turpentine smell.