IGNORED

Tare Weight

That Ozzy Guy

Can someone with a 240Z in Australia (NSW would be even better) please check their rego papers and tell me what the 'Tare Weight' is listed as. I think mine might be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time the RTA stuffed something up though. After coming off my license suspension they gave me a Gold license which you need a clean record for. :stupid:

Please check rego papers though, I can't use guesses. Mine is listed as 1620 which looks very wrong. Also, what's the correct definition of 'Tare weight'? Is it car + full tank + driver or just car + full tank.

Cheers

Thanks Cuong. That sounds to be about right. My rego also says 'sedan' btw. Oh the competence of government bodies. :ermm:

Now, if someone from NSW could check their rego papers please. My thoughts are;

>The NSW RTA system has the wrong Tare Weight. This is possible if the figures are entered automatically in reference to car makes and models.

or

>The Tare Weight is entered manually and they made a mistake when filling out mine.

Cheers

Originally posted by That Ozzy Guy

Also, what's the correct definition of 'Tare weight'? Is it car + full tank + driver or just car + full tank.Cheers

Be careful here, as the normal definition of "Tare" weight for a VEHICLE is its 'dry' weight with no passengers. So just the car without anybody ( even the driver ) and with no fuel in the tank.

I use these kinds of terms at work, and despite the fact that we use them all the time there is still sometimes some confusion over what they mean. In some countries, they interpret them differently - even though the whole idea is that they are an internationally recognised standard...............

When 'Tare' is used in the freight business it usually means the weight of the packaging or the container - without the goods / contents. I think the word is originally from the French language, and derives from an Arabic term.

Useless information dept.

Alan T.

ps

I seem to remember we had a thread going a few months back ( last year? ) discussing kerb weight / dry weight etc. for the different models in different markets and the differences between them all.

No idea where it was exactly, but you might try the search function on "weight" or something similar to find it.

Government departments are notoriously crap at entering the correct details for vehicles into their records. My 1970 Fairlady project car was privately imported to the UK back in the mid Eighties. The DVLA here decided that they knew exactly what it was, despite what evidence was presented to them. According to them, I am now the proud owner of a "1970 Fairlady Turbo". The dumwits.

Alan T.

Alan,

You're quite correct, it was discussed in a previous thread.

Vicroads has the 240 "tared" under 1000kg. [980 from memory].

So I can summise that every State body has it's own rules for determining weights!

MN

PS. have jsut been in touch with the one armed man and expect a reply tomorrow.

Thanks trs, I called the RTA today and they confirmed the 1020 weight.

Since they got it wrong on my rego they have overcharged me. There is a threshold of 1500 and anything over that they charge you more for rego. So the RTA owes me around $100. I'll have to try to get a refund tomorrow.

1020 yes thats the right number, I had that on my old NSW rego, and it did not change with the injected engine. I am interested with the amount of 240z sedans in Australia my Queensland reg says sedan as well but the same car was a coupe in NSW . My 71 auto on NSW rego has 1020 as well.

my 2c

cheers

Steve:classic:

My rego in Queensland read 1030kg.

I weighed my car at Willowbank late last year and it came in at 1046kg. I was carrying 1/2 tank of gas plus oils so that would put the car back to around 1020kg.

biker