IGNORED

ongoing issues with pertronix ignitor FIXED

Marine240z

Hi all.  I keep having the same issue post install of my #1761 pertronix ignitor.  It is coupled with the blue Bosch 3.0 coil and resistor bypass.  I have also installed a new alternator and double checked the wiring throughout.  The problem is as follows:

After install car runs perfect no miss, strong power, tach fine.  After about 3-4 days and numerous start-ups,  the ignitor dies and stops sending electricity to the plugs.  This is the third ignitor and I took it my mechanic who installed this most recent one. After starting and stopping it approximately  6  times ( idle for about 30 min. ea session) the ignitor died.

We are clueless why this is happening, any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

Lon 

Edited by Marine240z
sp FIX

IMHO. A Crane HI-6 CD box is the best way to go. I've run them since the mid 90's. Much more reliable than MSD 6 series and the Crane will work with points, Magnetic or VR reluctor, Hall sensors and Optical sensors. Combine it with a LX91 or PS91 coil and you are golden.

Nascar starting using Crane systems in the late 90's and failures became so rare that many teams eliminated the " Back-up " ignition box that was the common setup with MSD.

As far as Pertronix, I've read and heard about far too many failures. Most of them heat related. Sometimes making things smaller just doesn't work in electronic's. Hi current switching Transistors don't scale down in size very well....especially to sub-miniture SMD size.

Edited by Chickenman

If I was gonna source an ignition in a Z on a budget then I would also go ZX distributor like Marty...if I was willing to spend money I would either go to an ignition box like Chickenman describes or 123ignition like MikeW did...

I've kind of developed the opinion that Pertronix is just milking everything they can from the old Pertronix ignitors.  They've apparently changed manufacturers (comments from old posts) to save money and the quality of the product seems poor.  Lots of failures and problems.  They don't even really support it on their own web site.  Where is the #1761? - http://pertronix.com/support/instructions/

You could probably use the Pertronicx ignitor to run a GM HEI module.  The coil current would be handled by the HEI and the trigger signal supplied by the Pertronix unit.  Pertronix actually suggests similar, using the Ignitor to run an MSD.  I think it's the high current from the coil control that fries the units.

http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/

Works great in stock point-type distributors as a trigger for multi-spark CD ignitions, eliminating the need for expensive aftermarket distributors.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.  I do agree with Zed that Pertronix has gone to a "quantity" vs quality type of manufacturer. I have done just about everything to figure out this problem.  Various coils, various coil outputs ( 1.5 vs 3.0) resistor vs non-resistor, wiring upgrade etc.  The results are the same, ignitor failure at some point.  Going through my records there have been FIVE over the past two years.

Thanks goodness for Amazon's great exchange/return policy. I will review and research all the excellent recommendations by everyone and keep you posted.

Thanks

Lon   

I ended up ordering the Crane xr 3000 coupled with the ps 91 coil.  I should have everything installed on Tuesday the 9th and will report back after a few days of trial runs.  I think a big problem with the Pertronix is the low grade thin wiring.  The gauge  is probably 12-14 and way too thin. Poor manufacturing also contributes. Since I recently did a front to back mechanical resto, a more robust ignition system was warranted in order to get the most out of my upgrades.

Block/crank removed, 030 overbore, polished reground balanced crank, e -88 head shaved slightly, port polish, stage one rebuild, silvolite double dish pistons. Carbs removed and rebuilt by Z therapy, transmission/clutch completely rebuilt, supplemented new fuel pump with backup electric pump. Naturally the engine wiring harness and all rubber refreshed. I also went through the dealer installed A/C system and completely upgraded it which included a new high efficiency compressor,  custom hoses & hand built evaporator which is much more efficient.  

I also remove the stock exhaust and installed a NOS ABARTH system that was designed and sold in 1974 specifically for the 70-73 Z.  These were marketed by Fisher and made in Europe for racing apps.  Although it is almost 40 years old the condition was perfect and I had it shipped in one piece. It was a straight fit no mods required. see pic 

The undercarriage was also restored with period correct components.  Since the Z is truly rust free that was not a problem.  My Z is completely stock as far as interior/exterior and with the exception of the block and head, the electrical upgrades can all be retrofitted back to the original state in about 45 min.

I will update my album with the new crane additions later this week.   

WP_20151209_001.jpg

IMAG00292 (1).jpg

IMAG00287 (1).jpg

IMAG00284.jpg

IMAG00285.jpg

IMG_1085.JPG

Edited by Marine240z
pic