IGNORED

Rear spoiler for a 1971 240Z

Zedyone_kenobi

I have been itching to try to put a more accurate fitting BRE replica rear spoiler on my car.  So I pulled mine off and I need to do some tiny little scratch touch ups. 

While I was doing that I thought how some cars really looked 'the business' with a black rear spoiler. 

What color were the spoilers when the dealer added them? They did paint match them.  Datsun did not supply the car with rear spoilers did they? 

If I wanted to put on an accurate rear spoiler, which one would have been picked back in the day. I am thinking of going with a BRE from www.bre2.com and order from Gayle and Peter.  But should I get it paint matched, or should I just paint it the same color as the rear tail light panel?

What was the typical way they came?

The dealer added spoilers ( both front and rear) were BRE type to mimic Morton's Road Race of Champions class winner. I'm guessing it was owners option. Personally I like the rear spoiler painted the color of the car....the front spoiler a charcoal gray or black.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your car are always a fantastic inspiration Guy! 

But it sounds like I could go either way if it was an owners choice. I may paint my current one the same as the rear tail light panel, or an even darker flat black like your front spoiler Guy. 

Then I will order a new BRE style from BRE or MSA.

The spoilers on your cars, are they MSA? Do they use the two bolt attachment or the 6 bolt?

I bought my BRE type spoilers from MSA, then used wood clamps to clamp them to the front valence. I drilled 5 holes and bolted on with stainless steel bolts and large flat washers. I can't remember how many bolts were in the rear spoiler, but we used a thin rubber spacer (O ring) around each bolt to allow a small space for water to pass under the spoiler and seal the bolt hole water tight. Whatever you like is the right way as far as color for the spoilers. 

BRE spoilers look great body colored or as a contrasting color.   

My plan is to install a BRE spoiler on my 517 Light Gold 280Z and paint the spoiler dark gray to match my Panasports.  I haven't yet decided whether to go with chrome or powder coated Futofab 240Z bumpers.  If I get the painted bumpers, I'll recoat them in matching dark gray.

Here are some good pictures of my experience with the BRE2.net spoiler that I recently acquired.  As with any of these fiberglass pieces, some "work" will be required to have them fit seamlessly.  Once my car goes into paint I'll be sanding down the high spots of the BRE rear spoiler to get that proper fitment.  I like the BRE because it mounts with 6 screws rather than just 2 as a lot of the other versions have.  Best of luck.

http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/2015/05/bre-rear-spoiler-install.html

The dealer had already installed the 1st-gen BRE Spook and rear spoiler on my car when I bought it back in '71, they painted both in body color.  I stuck with these choices when I resto'd the car.  My general observation is that body colored front and rear spoilers will add visual "bulk" to the car - provided the car is not a very dark color to begin with.  Body color will also cause the add-on to better blend into or accentuate car's lines.  I second Diseazd's comment about the use of small O-rings as seals against the body.  As so many of us have said - your car, your choices.

SAM_1649.JPG

SAM_1681.JPG

Mr. Brock has "re-designed" the rear spoiler. He wanted to make it fit clear across the top of the rear quarter - so the outside edges of the rear spoiler lines up with the body line {or in the case of the BRE Livery - with the paint line}.  The original was just a little short of reaching the body line on each side.

Some people found out about the new redesigned one's before they were even publicly announced.. and they sold out. So if you want the new one - it may take a while to get an order filled. You can see more about it on the BRE2 Facebook site.

Nissan did offer the rear spoiler in Japan...Because of BRE's Contract with Nissan, BRE was allowed to sell any of the performance options direct to the public. BRE also supplied most of them to the Authorized DATSUN Dealers her in North America because they cost less to produce locally, than to produce and ship them from Japan.

At the Dealership I worked at - it was pretty much a Customer Choice related to paint or not. So we bolted them on Black.. but if the Customer wanted we'd paint them for a bit extra money. On a few 240's for the Showroom Floor - they were painted body color. Those 240Z's usually got full optional equipment - in order to display everything on the car. {spoilers, mag's, body side molding, Racing Strips, etc}.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Like 1