IGNORED

[2016] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

2 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Congratulations Jim - and a big Hello to Jim S. as well.  Looks like it was a great show and a wonderful location.

It was a great location Jim A, lots of shade, a good band, and fun people.

"Congrats! I wonder what the guys with all the shiny supercharger bling thought about you pulling the best engine category!"

Bruce, they are still shaking their heads, wondering what the heck went wrong ...

• Like 1

On 6/25/2016 at 8:43 PM, Lumens said:

Finally got my rebuilt E31 head assembled, back on the engine and torqued down. Exhaust manifold is installed.

Hooking up water and electrics now. Intake and carbs last I think.

Adding a photo. Planning on driving to a car show Sunday. A bit of work to do yet.

I will probably get it running the night before and break in the new camshaft. Maybe before if all goes well.

May even have to leave it jetted the way it was before if no time.. Cutting it close as usual.

IMG_20160627_133002.jpg

My exciting work on the Z was tightening up the clamp on the upper radiator hose.

I've been chasing a problem where the water temp would climb higher than I'd like when I'd drive it at higher RPMs for any length of time.  It was fine around town at at freeway speeds around 65 but anything higher and it would start heating up.   Past experience with a company vehicle had me thinking it might be a small leak in the system that was bleeding off just enough pressure to let the temperature climb in that situation.  They replaced the engine in a truck with similar symptoms that ended up having a couple pinhole leaks in the radiator.

I couldn't find signs of coolant leaking anywhere and it didn't seem to drop coolant level at a noticeable rate.   Pumped up the system with a pressure tester and finally found a small leak at the upper radiator hose that only showed up noticeably once I edged past the radiator cap pressure limit.  I tightened it up and the system held pressure much better.  Now in 3 months when it finally cools off I'll be able to test it.

Sometimes it is the stupidest little thing and really easy to overlook.

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 10:49 AM, TomoHawk said:

Hi Fred.  You must have been hiding in the crowd as usual.  I probably walked  by you at some time.  I did the parade lap(s) both days, so I would have gone by you.  The red car, #39

Found red #39    122 in

I was parked in the garage area by the concession stand, closer to the pits. During the parade laps, checked out the Shelbys parked across the way. A friend of mine has a GT350, he used to Solo it and then had it restored in it's original color, lime green metallic. Sure enough it was JD, hadn't seen him in about 20 yrs. Only Pit Marshaled Sat couldn't make it Sunday

Getting my two cars ready to sale I've been driving the 240 just to see how it does. Yesterday I heard something bumping around in the rear. I thought it was the suspension but as it turns out luckily it's only a loose muffler hanger. Adjusted the clutch pedal rod to fsm specs and now I have a good clutch. Filled up the tank and drove around close to home for an hour without any problems. Advancing the timing from 5 BTDC to 10 lowered the temp gauge and overall runs much better. I do think I lost some top end rpms as Zed Head mentioned but I'll take the trade off. 8^)

280 is next but it'll be tomorrow morning due to the heat. I try and get started at daylight when it's in the 60s. By 10am its 80 degrees down here. Four hours of decent weather to work on them is enough for me anyway.

• Like 1

• Mike locked this topic