IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

hello all! things have slowed a bit, but i have gotten quite a bit done. ordered and installed the lower quarters and the center section above the tail lights. i bought these parts from tabco, and they did need trimming for a good fit. all in all, they fit ok. im just about done with the body work and should have another coat of epoxy and then primer by next weekend.

thanks all    sb

rear hatch piece. this was a pita to get fit correctly

100_1310_zpsieuxwof9.jpg

lower quarter before

100_1320_zpsem5e8yrn.jpg

and after

100_1324_zpsetiqjiij.jpg

and all smoothed out

100_1332_zpsuaul6glk.jpg

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

well it has been a while since i posted anything, but i have gotten quite a bit done. the body and doors are ready for paint. i hope to have that done in the next couple of weeks before the weather warms up and the bugs come out

all bodywork done, and black epoxy applied before primer and blocking

100_1354_zps9bmzuopx.jpg

100_1358_zpscxst9yrc.jpg

100_1394_zpsf7ysxot6.jpg

primer over black epoxy

100_1387_zpsl7losh4f.jpg

block sanding. the darker area is guide-cote by 3M. it leaves a dark spot in any low spot while sanding. those few spots get filled with glazing putty and re-sanded

100_1411_zpssto4zxop.jpg

100_1387_zpsl7losh4f.jpg

new battery tray all welded up

100_1422_zps7xmgebqy.jpg

cowl area rubber sealed. there wasnt any rust here but this stuff will seal against any leaks

100_1419_zpsyehjhz8q.jpg

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 3

i would be concerned that a thick coating could hide rust or trapped water - if for example there's a pinhole or edge gap and water gets under it, or the paint it's applied over lifts/fails and water is able to get under it at the perimeter, allowing it to wick water in - then this area would never dry out, making the rust worse. kind of like the issue folks have with undercoating. the material itself is quite durable and shouldn't pose any issues of leaking, it's really just the edge where the "rubber meets the rust" that i would be careful, especially in a zone that is hidden under the cowl.

On 2/28/2016 at 9:09 AM, rossiz said:

i would be concerned that a thick coating could hide rust or trapped water - if for example there's a pinhole or edge gap and water gets under it, or the paint it's applied over lifts/fails and water is able to get under it at the perimeter, allowing it to wick water in - then this area would never dry out, making the rust worse. kind of like the issue folks have with undercoating. the material itself is quite durable and shouldn't pose any issues of leaking, it's really just the edge where the "rubber meets the rust" that i would be careful, especially in a zone that is hidden under the cowl.

im not concerned with that happening in my lifetime anyways. the sandblaster did a great job on the cowl. it was free of paint and rust, leaving a fairly rough surface, perfect for this stuff to adhere to. i can pretty much guarantee it will never fail or rust. we use this stuff at work for sealing metal roof penetrations and have yet to see it fail when properly applied.

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the weather here is still holding out on the cold, wet side. perfect for painting. i have only painted 1 other car before, and that was with single stage paint. this is a base-clear, so it is a kind of practice session, so i decided to do the engine bay first. the base went on a bit dry, so there is some orange peel. over-all i am pleased. the body comes next week-end.

base coat before clear

after clear (sorry for the blurry pic)

• Like 1