IGNORED

My 73 240Z

nomuken

Hi nomuken---

For comparison with your photo, here is a photo of my 73 240Z engine which shows the timing tab and 2 groove pulley. (taken in preparation for ZCON 2015)

post-7354-0-86972000-1444959648_thumb.jp

I think you have the wrong type timing tab for your 73. It is differently shaped from those intended for the earlier cars, and one of the tab mounting bosses in your timing cover appears to have a broken bolt. I am not sure if your pulley is original or not, but it does look somewhat different on the block side of the pulley groove.

(The photo can be enlarged by right clicking and "Open in New Window")

Hope this helps!

Jim D.

"Zup"

Edited by Zup

Here's a thread from 2009 that gives a little more insight into the placement of the timing indicator plates on the 240Z.

Early cars (70/71/early 72)---right side

Later cars (late 72/73)---left side

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/30515-timing-indicator-plate-location/

The plate you purchased is for the earlier cars, sourcing a 73 plate is not easy but they are out there.

Jim D.

"Zup"

Edited by Zup

Huge thx zup for clearing this up for me. Wasn't aware that the 73 model is different!

If I can't find the right indicator tab, I'll just put the engine on tdc using mesuring gauges and putting a new mark on the pulley according to the early tab indicator

nomukin, My 1975 L28 block uses the same timing indicator you purchased.

I may have the early type crank pulley on mine as I have the

passenger side timing indicator and lines up perfect to my pulley.

You would just need the other crank pulley like mine.

Not so easy given your location I know.

Nomukin,

Did you mark the pulley red? Also did you scratch the timing cover and mark it red too? It looks like an added reference point for lack of timing marks. Also I find white on the pulley mark works better than red for visibility.

i put an aftermarket single-row pulley on my re-build. it's a smaller diameter than what was replaced, so the tab wound up an inch away and was useless. so i made my own tdc marker with a piece of sst - actually just fabbed from a section of sst hose clamp. you can print a paper degree wheel (tons available online) and tape it to your pulley, use it and a piston stop to set tdc accurately and you're good to go.

unless you're going for "all original" it's more important to simply mark tdc than it is to source the exact tab.

post-28907-0-28013400-1445339864_thumb.j

Edited by rossiz

The delivery guy showed up again. Got a real large box from MSA, have to wait for the Tax receipt, but yeah, here you go. Ordered lots of rubbers, bushings, ... But most important, some parts to refresh the interior:

wpid-wp-1445845956278.jpg

Shortly after this delivery I got another box, from JAPAN. Freakin new driver side doorpanel. YEAH! Bought this on yahoo auctions for "only" 27000Yen or 225US$

wpid-wp-1445967581339.jpg

As winter is approaching here in Europe, I decided to do a last ride for 2015 and started working:

wpid-wp-1445845968077.jpg

wpid-wp-1445845948933.jpg

Edited by nomuken
  • Like 3

lots of work there. consider an adhesive sound mat - i did my 280 with it and was impressed with the difference it made in getting rid of harsh road noise. be sure to include the spare tire well, that thing rings like a drum and the sound mat cuts a good deal of the high frequency sound.