IGNORED

Looking for Throttle opener control valve and servo diaphragm for a 240z

jalexquijano

Am about to install a Vintage AIr gen II mini kit and Sanden 508 Compressor. I was advised i needed a throttle opener valve and servo diaphgram to keep my idle up when turning the AC on! Does anyone have these parts functional?? Cant stand the heat! If you have pictures i will really apreciate it!!

ok!! Thanks! I dont know why people are advising that i need to have both the throttle opener valve and servo diaphgram installed on top of my balance tube so it can idle up the carburetor when the AC compressor is activated. I need to clear this out but do not seem to find a correct direction.

Edited by jalexquijano

Try googling "idle stop solenoid". Toyota and many others used them in the early 80's to close the carburetor throttle to stop the engine. You can use it to step up the idle when the compressor in activated.

http://www.auto-parts-online.com/uploads1/prod61/img3_00/000/8949076_1282214161.jpg

Just got the parts from a supplier in Canada! I guees im ready to install my AC finally!!

• 4 weeks later...

One of my friends has a 1973 240z with AC installed. I took some pictures and he has no servo diaphgram and throttle opener valve to compensate. I also want to be able to use the dash controls to turn the compressor on and adjust the blower speed. Could this be posible? Are the compressor hoses installed correctly?  meaning i will have to remove the heater hoses to get through the firewall and in the evaporator as shown:

post-28721-0-92050000-1440801148_thumb.j

post-28721-0-35157500-1440801172_thumb.j

post-28721-0-38708800-1440801189_thumb.j

post-28721-0-85315800-1440801210_thumb.j

post-28721-0-78178200-1440801224_thumb.j

Edited by jalexquijano

On the 240z's I have worked on that had air, the refrigerant lines were brought through the firewall down low on the passenger side. You just have to drill extra holes. The ones with the dealer added air have a small pod screwed to the drivers side of the center console with a switch that started the compressor and a knob that controlled temperature. Most of them use the existing ductwork to provide the air so the existing heater blower moves the air through the evaporator to cool it. I would not delete the heater even where you live...

Patcon,

i have already bought the Vintage Air Gen II evaporator, Sanden 508 compressor, and stock compressor bracket.

I have several questions related to this matter:

1. If i do not want to drill extra holes could i use the firewall holes where the heater hoses go out?

2. Where do i get this dealer added small pod which is screwed to the driver side of the center console? So there is no way to modify the stock fan controls to opérate as AC?

3. Will i be okay using the servo diaphgram and throttle opener valve? or should i strive for something different?

Leave the heater core alone! If you ever start running hot you can use it to keep from destroying the head.

Drill the holes it's what all the older 240z's with AC have. You will have to drill a drain hole for the evaporator anyway, what is a couple more.

Also there are some threads from another forum that suggest it is a bad idea to delete the heater hoses or bypass them.

I already knew you had an AC system...

If you want the factory pod you will have to look for a factory ac system on Ebay. I would think you vintage air system would come with some kind of controls...

I don't see how you can control the add-on AC from the factory controls. If it's possible it would be a lot of work!!! With the mechanical help you have been able to get so far I would rule it out...

well i will need to follow your advice and not what my friend did as per the pictures attached? it seems he deleted the heater system and installed the compressor to evaporator hoses through the heater hoses. Do you conclude his installation is not correct? i am trying to find pictures of someone who was a full installation as you point out but havent had any luck.

Edited by jalexquijano