IGNORED

Spare Tire cover warped

Chickenman

Any one have any tips on how to flatten out a warped Spare Tire cover? Mine was in good shape, but I had a Tail Gate water leak and particle board cover got wet. As luck would have it, my Tool Box was sitting on top and warped the cover.

Cover is in really good shape, and I'd just like to flatten it out. I was thinking one of those Steam heaters and then some weight on top, or maybe wetting it down again and putting a sheet of Plywood and heavy weights on top? Your thoughts folks? TIA

Might try using a hot clothes iron on it.   Place a very lightly damp cloth between the iron and the particle board so it doesn't leave residue on your wife's steam iron!

That's one idea I was also thinking about. I think I'll give that a go.

OK that is made from interior grade particle board or also called interior hardy board.  The problem in when it gets wet the glue in the material seperates. So avoid moistue it will brake it down more.  I'd use wight and presure to flatten, the iron idea is not bad, but remember the glue in the board burns at low temps also.  If that dont work make a new one you can buy exterior and interior grade at the big box stores.

We'll see how the flattening goes. If that doesn't work I'll probably order the MSA cover. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Just got back from a local car show. 1,200+ cars.. but got a bit too much Sun. I look and feel like a boiled Lobster....ugh.

Edited by Chickenman