IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

Mathew

Do you have a straight die grinder? You need one with a 4" grinder wheel. You also need a right angle grinder and get a 2" Rolock head. Some 2" Roloc pads in 36 grit will help you straighten the lines. they cut really fast. You could also get a body saw but not really a necessity, sort of expensive but would work in this application really well.

Also I don't use files for anything! I'm old and don't have time to waste...

Edited by Patcon

• 2 weeks later...
On May 9, 2016 at 0:53 PM, Matthew Abate said:

Found something interesting on Ratsun:

Yeah pretty sure they stole that from us.  Check out our paint code info. 

just do a search for paint codes and you'll see it's been here a long time. 

Also want to mention home.com also has an excellent knowledge base.

http://zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/index.html

I've just never seen all the Datsun colors in one sheet before. I've seen tons of conversation about Z colors.

I've been scrounging around on eBay and found some collections of chips for a lot of years.

Ultimately it's just feeding a bad habit of being indecisive.

• Like 1

Last night I marked all of the holes in my engine bay that didn't have something screwed into them when I got the car (remember it was half disassembled when it arrived).

Image1463612345.988387.jpg

Image1463612355.936187.jpg

Next step is to identify which ones can be welded up and which ones will need to stay.

Worked on stripping the floors a little tonight. Not too much because I only had about 30 minutes, but the driver's side isn't as crazy rusted as I thought it was. Still gotta get in there under the seat brace, but I'm thinking I have less metal to cut out than I thought. Still beat up and full of rivet holes, though.

Image1464053143.738831.jpg

FWIW I bought a "last until I'm dead" Kobalt super nice upright 60 or 80 gallon? can't remember, $600. Harbour freight pressurized media pot, $100. With all the stuff that air compressor runs I feel like I'm ahead on those purchases. 

The Datsun Z cars turned me into my Dad, which ain't a bad thing. I'm the guys dad in Fast Times with the "ultimate set of tools" that's a TV repairman. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drained my tank tonight. Last I checked this is not the correct color for gasoline:

Image1465087744.608797.thumb.jpg.c9ebe1c

Also, it doesn't smell like gasoline. I don't know what kind of additives are in this but it's fumed up my house to the point where I am concerned about my children's future life potential.