IGNORED

Just ordered my BC coilovers

HaZmatt

Sadly, its going to be a while before I get them installed. I decided to complete an engine swap instead of completing my entire suspension. I called and got a small discount on the swift spring upgrade which I believe is the way to go. The swifts are linear springs so they should react the same way. You can also choose your spring rates, I went with the recommended springs. I currently have Illuminas with Eibach springs which ride really well. I think it will be a little bit of over kill when I move over the BCs. I decided to go with the coilovers for height adjustability. The front of my car is a little taller than the rear. 

Edited by nismospek

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I was scrolling through old suspension topics and it occurred to me that It has been a while since this topic has been updated. I would love to know how the BC coilovers turned out and how they have worked over time. @HaZmatt, would you and others who have installed these mind sharing the details about your kit (drop, spring rates, Swift springs vs regular, dampers, etc), how the installation went, and what you think of the driving results? Apologies if I have missed where this was discussed elsewhere.

I have mixed feelings of my BC coilovers. I did the standard drop, not the Extreme low. It sits just right, but the front is as low as I can go. The issue I am having is the stiffness. I ordered the 5k-7k kit which was recommended by the distributor. He said it would have a factory ride. Not really the case. It's not teeth shattering stiff but since I dont race or autoX this car I wanted a more comfortable ride. So with the conversion, I have 280 lb springs up front and 336 lb springs in the rear. I think this is still too much. I may try and order some custom springs with a lighter spring rate and see if that helps. I'm thinking 200lb front and 250lb rear. I also have the Polyurethane bushings so that probably adds to the stiffness, but when I had the Eibach lowering springs it rode really nice....just not low enough. Anyways overall I'm pretty happy with them, just wish it was a little smoother ride.

The install wasn't bad. It would have been easier if I would've gone with these the first time when everything was already apart. Just need to remove strut housing, cut off all but 2" of perch, slide on coilover, weld around the base. 

Z3.jpg

Z2.jpg

• Like 4

HaZmatt, thanks for your honesty. You expose the exact reasons why I can't convince myself to change to coilovers from my Eibach lowering springs on Tokico struts. I enjoy my ride quality now so much that I'm willing to put up with 1 more inch of ride height. At least for now LOL

Z car Key Biscayne.JPG

Edited by dmoralesbello
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HaZmatt said:

I have mixed feelings of my BC coilovers. I did the standard drop, not the Extreme low. It sits just right, but the front is as low as I can go. The issue I am having is the stiffness. I ordered the 5k-7k kit which was recommended by the distributor. He said it would have a factory ride. Not really the case. It's not teeth shattering stiff but since I dont race or autoX this car I wanted a more comfortable ride.

I also think that is too high of spring rate for the street. The rate you are thinking of going to sounds much better to me. Go for it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jonathanrussell said:

Really appreciate the overview @HaZmatt.

Once you figure out which variable or variables change gives you the best balance it would be great to know your thoughts.

Maybe it is a combination- solid hats, limited travel causing you to ride on bump stops, poly bushings, spring rates?

BTW, your car looks fantastic.

Thanks! Definitely a combination of things... I will probably change out the springs first and see how that feels and then go from there. i"ll keep you posted. 

Looks great HaZmatt! I installed Ground Control coil overs with the lowest spring rate they offered (Tokico's). The ride is great. I agree with you....a lower spring rate will definitely solve your problem....mine handle great too....so will yours with the new springs.

image.jpg

image.jpg