IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

I have been chatting with Charlie from ZeddFindings. He has not had anyone else mention the 280Z frame rails being different than the 240Z before... strange! However, he also mentioned that he was considering manufacturing and selling the reinforcement plates like I made along with the frame rails. He hasn't had any requests for them though.
What do you people think? Would you be interested in a prefabbed set of replacement reinforcement plates from Charlie? Let him know!

You still planning on using a narrower radiator or fix the frame rail up front?  The 240z rails also notch in about the same.  

Picture of my 240z Frame rail removed from the car. kind of hard to see the indention at the front for the radiator clearance.

IMG_0395.JPG

A while back I swapped the stock 240z rad for a 280zx N/A (year unknown) and the length was pretty close to same. 

Comparasion, 280zx left, 240z right.

IMG_0262.JPG

Clearance on each side of the frame rails.

IMG_0273.JPGIMG_0274.JPG

Cleared the hood.

IMG_0286.JPG

Hanged down a little, but wasnt bad at all.

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

Not sure if any of this information helps or not.  

You may have to notch the frame rail up front though, to fit in the radiator support. Or maybe not, I dont have your replacement rail to really determine that. If you can get away without notching it, I would just find a aftermarket rad that will fit, like your were doing.

Edited by disepyon

Should be safe using a 240z rad as it isnt as tall and will allow for the bottom to hide behind the lower rad support and still have plenty room on top to clear the hood. Reason I went with the zx radiator, I needed something cheap and in the moment, It was the only good conditioned z radiator at a local salvage yard that somewhat fit and worked for the time being.  Im not sure but, are the 280z's bottom radiator supports lower than the 240z's?