IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

I took the rear carb float chamber apart today to clean things up and check the condition of the float and the fuel shut off valve. I cleaned the sediment out of the bowl with the help of some spray carb cleaner, made sure the float still floated, checked the action of the inlet needle valve. I put everything back together with a new gasket. When I started it up, I still had gas puking out. It may be time to bite the bullet and ship the carbs away for a professional rebuild. Not the way I had hoped the day would go.

Pull the float covers, again. While allowing the float to hang, blow into the fuel inlet fitting & gently lift the float. If the needle valve is sealing properly you won't get any air through it when the float is lifted.

to keep bowl gaskets from Pringling, place them between pieces of waxed paper or plastic & keep them flat by placing them in a large book. Like pressing flowers.

She is dusty and dirty and has not run for quite a while. But.....

She fired up with little effort, and settled into a nice idle. 

Looking forward to putting on some miles this year. 

She turns 45 this year. I hope this is a great year for all the Z's out there.

post-18472-0-27451700-1425076761_thumb.j

Pull the float covers, again. While allowing the float to hang, blow into the fuel inlet fitting & gently lift the float. If the needle valve is sealing properly you won't get any air through it when the float is lifted.

to keep bowl gaskets from Pringling, place them between pieces of waxed paper or plastic & keep them flat by placing them in a large book. Like pressing flowers.

Thanks Mark. I'll give it a try. We're in for a few days of rain starting tonight, so it may be a "next week" project. I have a question. When the float shuts the valve and the fuel pump is still pumping, why isn't the fuel tank return line relieving the pressure that seems to be at the fuel float bowl? Might that line be blocked/clogged? Too much fun.

Dennis

I don't think a blocked return line would cause fuel over-flow. If the fuel pressure is around 3 1/2 psi the needle & seat will shut it off. Also, if a blocked line was the problem, both carbs would be puking.

The problem is in the rear carb float chamber. Check or re-check the following; float(does it?), float pivot assy.(NO binding), float tang adjustment(float bowl fuel level), needle & seat(does it seal), fuel pressure(elec. pump, bad regulator?). If I still couldn't figure it out I would pull the float cover off the front carb & carefully compare the two.

Mark

Actually, both float bowls are spewing fuel.  I have only opened the rear float bowl to check things out at this point.  As for the rear float....it does float and moves freely on its pivot.  I've shot carb cleaner through the valve as well as manually held it closed to see if it would keep cleaner from spraying through - it did stop flow.  Same electric fuel pump and pressure since 1977.  Rain in the forecast today through Tuesday, so it will be a few days before I open both float bowls up for another look.  I appreciate your troubleshooting suggestions.

Dennis

post-20012-0-09601400-1425436467_thumb.jCompleted fitting & installation of my new 240 mirror today.

Last fall, while parked at a business, came back to find someone had clipped my 77 mirror and broken the plastic base.

My car gets closer to a 240z every year, one part at a time....

Could be a stuck or sunken float. I had a 260Z that had a pin hole in a float and it sunk, leaving fuel puking out the overflow.

This is in fact common. I have worked with British and Datsun SU's just about my whole life.

Over time floats will slowly absorb fuel making them heavy. They begin to not fully shut off the

needle valves. This makes tuning a SU correctly impossible. Once they become too heavy they

just sink and do not shut the valve off at all. Nobody ever checks their floats. You can feel

how heavy they are by removing them.

Edited by lumens
  • Like 1

Actually, both float bowls are spewing fuel.  I have only opened the rear float bowl to check things out at this point.  As for the rear float....it does float and moves freely on its pivot.  I've shot carb cleaner through the valve as well as manually held it closed to see if it would keep cleaner from spraying through - it did stop flow.  Same electric fuel pump and pressure since 1977.  Rain in the forecast today through Tuesday, so it will be a few days before I open both float bowls up for another look.  I appreciate your troubleshooting suggestions.

Dennis

I would inspect your fuel line filter - see if you have any debris in there...........could be junk sticking your needle valves open.

Edited by Travel'n Man

Washed and dewaxed - Griot's Garage clay bar'd - polish #3 - polish #2 - polish#1 - wax'd - and rewashed using a spray on wax after wash. 

• I only wax once a year and use spray on wax after every wash while the Z is still wet - then hand dry and buff.
Edited by Travel'n Man

This weekend I gave my girl a 45th birthdat gift, after way to many years she is back on the road legally. She still needs a few items, but after breaking the in new rebuild and a 100 mile road trip, she is very happy to be back amongst the living.

post-22167-0-71250500-1425481611_thumb.j

post-22167-0-77317300-1425481822_thumb.j

post-22167-0-44882500-1425481859_thumb.j

post-22167-0-94525900-1425481893_thumb.j

post-22167-0-25623000-1425481990_thumb.j

• Like 3

• Mike locked this topic