IGNORED

Which Electric Fuel Pump For 2 Hitachi Su Carbs? What Pressure?

jalexquijano

I have read that the twin Hitachi SU carbs in our cars can only handle 4 PSI from the electric fuel pumps. My mechanic recommends swapping my electric fuel pump with a Facet Silver Top and regulator:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=85

I am really aiming at a noiseless or very silent fuel pump that will keep on pumping gas even when decelerating at corners.Is the above fuel pump recommended for a 240z?

Japan?? How long will it take to get to Miami, FL? Quite expensive. You did not answered my question regarding the use with Hitachi SU CARBS which i believe can only handle up to 4 PSI.

I planned to install an electric fuel pump (or hook up the stock one for drag racing) because I had a fuel starvation issue at WOT that I thought was due to some weakness of the fuel pump. Why did I think that ? Because I was not really thinking.

Installing a quality fuel pressure gauge in the cockpit verified that my fuel pressure was fine (3.5 to 4 psi) at all times with just a stock mechanical fuel pump. The problem turned out to be due to a combination of low float bowl levels and the fact that stock needles were not providing enough fuel at WOT for the non-stock head assembly I'm running.

Good to see that the original electric fuel pumps are still available though. They should bolt right up if you have the original bracket. 

In the Just SU's video, there's a statement that fuel mixture depends on fuel pressure to some extent. If you hook up clear tubes as sight  glasses and watch them while the engine's running, you'll see the levels go up and down slightly as the valves open and close. Maybe with lower pressure that variation would increase, causing a slightly leaner average mix. 

I've got the Holley electric fuel pump here:  https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12-801-1

It's running my triple Mikuni's, but is very loud (especially since it's mounted to the frame).  I don't like the noise, but, I can tell when the fuel pump is working.  As soon as I turn the key to accessory mode, the fuel pump kicks in and makes a whining noise.

I may have to look at the RX7 or the Nismo version.  Do any of you have real-life experiences with these pumps (noise, performance) ?

I have a Facet 60SV in my Z. It is equivalent in appearance to the Nismo one. I can hear it with the engine off, but just barely. Nice quiet pumping sound.

I find that all the "bigger" pumps I've tried are very noisy which I attribute to air cavitation from not being able to pump at or near their rated volume without a proper return system. There is no reason for any electic pump that is moving pure fluid (not air) at normal volumes to make hardly any noise other than standard electic motor humm.. If its making noise, its not moving anything but air as it re-circulates within its own pressure relief cavity (if so equiped) and letting you know it!

I have the usual fears of the quaity (reads life expectancy) of the facet pump I have, I am extremely tempted to eat the cost and treat my Z to a proper made in Japan Nismo pump. Youz gets what youz pays for in this case I think...