IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

Oh it's still happening, just trying to get the 1970 Z finished and ready for sale in the spring, when that is gone I'll have some money and space to work on the ///MZ.

I was just looking at this lovely 240Z, http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/02/os-giken-power-americas-exotic-240z/    

I'm having a hard time believing those numbers, 376hp, 281 ftlb torque at rear wheels from a 3.3L with carbs.

Granted, you have a team of very talented guys and probably a bottomless budget and I suppose the torque number could be accurate but the hp sounds a bit puffed up.

This engine that I'm using is the same configuration with 3.5L and FI through 6 independent TB and could get near that hp without a turbo.

Rossiz, these pics of the OBX limited slip diff are for you, I had to disassemble it and clean up the hardened on lube they use at the factory, flip the gears 180 degrees and replace the soft cone washers but it's already to install in the R200 diff now.

Chris

DSCN0303.JPG

DSCN0305.JPG

DSCN0309.JPG

DSCN0307.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The other Z is almost sold and then it is full speed ahead on this build.

Picked up some new bearings and stub axle clip rings for the OBX, got as much done as I could then took it up to the Differential shop to have them install the OBX unit in the R200 and adjust the free play, very pleased with the wipe pattern.  I'll tuck it away on the shelf now ready for installation, hopefully it will be a quite unit.

DSCN0193.JPG

DSCN0194.JPG

DSCN0201.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And the show is on again! With the 1970 Z on its way to California now, I finally have my garage space back and a few pennys to rub together for a change. First order of the build is to weld together an engine stand that will also hold the Z dash so I can integrate both of the wiring harnesses and instrument cluster.

Good bye old friend.DSCN0089.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

And the show is on again! With the 1970 Z on its way to California now, I finally have my garage space back and a few pennys to rub together for a change. First order of the build is to weld together an engine stand that will also hold the Z dash so I can integrate both of the wiring harnesses and instrument cluster.

Glad to hear that you got the details for the sale transaction sorted out.  Now it's time to get that credit card warmed up and ready for another round of resto-mod parts purchasing.:)

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Glad to hear that you got the details for the sale transaction sorted out.  Now it's time to get that credit card warmed up and ready for another round of resto-mod parts purchasing.:)

• 2 weeks later...

The shop is empty now so it got a fresh coat of paint on the floor, starting to build the test stand.

Once the new gauges arrive from Speedhut I'll mount the dash right behind engine so I can get the wiring laid out properly. After I get the engine running with all the systems working and ready to install I'll cut off all the uprights on the test stand and use the base as the dolly for the shell.

DSCN0094.JPG

DSCN0105.JPG

DSCN0107.JPG

DSCN0108.JPG

DSCN0111.JPG

DSCN0112.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a little progress,  got the dash rigged up but having a bugger of a time trying hook up the old M6 exhaust so I can use it for the test rig,  it does not want to cooperate.

The Speedhut gauges arrived, I love them. They let you customize the gauges from very old school to as glitzy as you like and you can dismantle the entire unit without having to fight glue and bizarre fasteners. I went for a look as close to the original gauges as I could, the 4.5" size tach and speedo fit perfectly inside the cannibalized original gauge housing, the water/oil gauge I will have to work on some more to get it to look right.

DSCN0136.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

DSCN0116.JPG

DSCN0128.JPG

DSCN0122.JPG

DSCN0129.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

DSCN0123.JPG

DSCN0133.JPG

DSCN0135.JPG