IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

Claimed?  I still can't believe you managed to Fred Flintstone that Z over to my house!  That's right everybody, Captain Obvious's side kick has finally managed to get his password situation resolved!  I will wizz myself laughing if that acid works on paint but not magic marker :)

12 minutes ago, GGRIII said:

I will wizz myself laughing if that acid works on paint but not magic marker :)

My wife asked me the same thing before writing it on the roof, wouldn't that be great if instead of needing a $5000 paint job it could all be done with $40 worth of magic markers.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris (and everyone else following this thread) will probably enjoy viewing the before/after shots featured under the 'Projects' tab on this dip shop's website:

www.metaldipping.com

Their projects include a 1976 Z, along with an Austin-Healey and a lot of American iron  (easy to see now why people say that Healeys drive like a truck!). 

This looks to me like it may be a caustic (lye) dip tank rather than acid... but I didn't investigate very hard and I could be wrong.  For their Z project, it's interesting to seethat the dip process apparently didn't strip the asphalt sound-deadening pad off the floors.  Another observation is that the process may require re-tuning your eyes to be able to spot the rusted areas after the car has been treated.  What was easy to see c/o visible red oxide is no longer quite so obvious.

I like this shop's business strategy for offering an epoxy primer service to its customers.  Probably a great investment and convenience for most of their customers (unless the shop's prices are out of line).

Looking forward to seeing the 'during' and 'after' photos for Chris's Z.