IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

10 hours ago, Careless said:

have you looked at 944 S2 panel filters from K&N?

great for making air boxes! you'll just have to sandwich them between a flange and use a latch or two like the battery box you made.

http://www.promaxmotorsport.co.uk/images/thumbs/0000536.jpg

Yes I'll have to come up with something like that, there is lots of room in front of the rad for an airbox just no room for a 3"dia air tube to get past the rad unless I cut through the fender again:blush:

I have started work on the exhaust system, I have never welded stainless steel before and man it's a bit of a pain, completely different animal then carbon steel. Hard as a chisel, heats up really fast, hangs on to that heat, burns through if you don't use the lightest touch but sure cleans up nice.

DSCN0715.JPGDSCN0716.JPGDSCN0718.JPGDSCN0719.JPGDSCN0720.JPGDSCN0721.JPGDSCN0722.JPG

I could not run a bead on this thin walled tubing without having blobs form inside and narrowing the passage so had to do a series of short tack welds with a couple of seconds between each one so I wouldn't break through.

DSCN0723.JPGAfter some grinding,

DSCN0724.JPGDSCN0728.JPG

• Like 2

lookin real noice, bruh!

stainless MIG is so weird. it's got an odd sizzle to it, but generates next to no spark and before you know it, it's swiss cheese. it's the localized heat that doesn't dissipate that makes it tough to MIG on thin stuff.

get a 80G Zirconia flap wheel, Chris.

you'll love what it does to stainless. once it's all clean, some red scotch brite pad rubbed in the same direction as the original grain and you'll get what's called an "XL Blend" finish, which is what we put on most stainless railings when I was doing the stainless fab stuff.

you can get pretty close to the belt-polish that way. here's an end-cap I did a while back: 

AkFIOhC.png

just gotta hover over the welds wit dem flappy flaps. minimal pressure required.

I'd let you borrow my TIG welder if it was in operating condition :-(

Edited by Careless

On 11/21/2016 at 8:24 PM, grannyknot said:

Yes I'll have to come up with something like that, there is lots of room in front of the rad for an airbox just no room for a 3"dia air tube to get past the rad unless I cut through the fender again:blush:

you wouldn't need a 3 inch air tube, realistically. that's way overkill. go by the size of the throttle body on similar BMW motors with the same head design and displacement. guaranteed it's not 80mm. probably in the 65-70mm range- with which a 2.5 inch pipe should be suitable. it can also be squeezed or oval shape if need be. the "loss" in breathability from using a pipe that will fit well would be so trivial, it would be best to go with what works in the position you really want it.

also, you'd be going from a smaller size to the larger inlet on the intake, so there would be no reversion or much of a hinderance due to the coupler sizing upwards/expanding to a larger inlet size rather than reducing to a smaller one.

or just turbo the car later. you already got ms2 on there. stop playin' around!

11 hours ago, 240260280 said:

You got me there buddy, I just don't give a hoot. Welcome to the forum by the way.

So I have the exhaust system hanging now, everything is slip fit still in case something needs tweaking. Even though the resonators and muffler are called 'ultra quiet' I have a feeling this is going to be loud.

DSCN0735.JPGDSCN0739.JPGDSCN0738.JPG

I don't know if that would work (emissions, etc) but I stuffed an L28 with 5-speed into a '71 Mercedes 230 sedan -- commuted in it about 12 years before selling.  (Gal wrecked it!)  It made an okay car a real fun ride, esp as it was SB42 smog-inspection exempt.  Used a Maxima oil pan and throttle linkage, and notched the front cross-member (with heavy internal stiffening) but not many other changes, despite the fact that the M-B was an automatic car; very nice driver and cheap!!  Shamed a Subaru WRX coupe through three gears; young dudes said "Whoa; fast car, grandpa!"  Got me through my Z-less period after Nissan bought my orig owner '70 back in '95.  Built a better '71 and got the silver color I ordered in the first place but settled for green...  

I wrote an tongue-in-cheek article on it for Z Car Magazine (I was Restoration Editor then) but it folded (not my fault, I always hope!)  before it got in print.

Red NL320 has been crowded out of the garage now; it needs a new home; $8,995.00 asking.

204.JPG

198.JPG

178.JPG

176.JPG

• Like 3