IGNORED

Choke lever mount broken under console

siteunseen

Go here and pay the price---

Datsun 240Z 1972 73 Choke Cable Lever Mounting Bracket | eBay

These are made by Art Singer ---a member here---and are the easiest permanent fix for your problem.

I have a 73 Z I did this to and believe me it is worth every penny. Choke lever action--- once the cable is lubricated (do it while you have everything apart)-- is effortless--- smooth as silk!

An added benefit is you can remove your console very quickly and easily anytime you need to without the choke cable mount in the stock mounting pins.

I made one years ago, but Art's are very well made and it come complete with everything you need.

Jim D.

"Zup"

I'm not saying NOT to buy Art's part. But when I had the problem I used ABS glue and fiberglass fabric to fix and reinforce the screw bosses that hold the choke bracket on. I have used those materials for numerous things around the interior and none of the repairs has failed yet.

Ill second that, its worth every penny. Additionally you don't need to remove the choke cable anymore if you ever pull your console out again, just the knob on the end. The feel of it being bolted down to a metal bracket is very reassuring.

• 11 months later...

I've had the bracket for almost a year, finally got tired of pulling the ashtray out to hold the choke lever assembly.  So I decided to put it on yesterday and it works great.  I'm about to order another one.

2 things, read the instructions then throw them away and get online to look at better pictures.  Use self-tapping sheet metal screws.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a flat plate, 4.25 wide, 3 inch long, cut to fit the lever frame. Use the picture of the plate to get the shape. A scrap of 20/18 gauge tin will be fine. 1/8 thick aluminum is too thick. 1/16 would be ok.

The spacers between the level frame and this plate are 0.5 high.

Use small 10-24 bolts, 1 inch long with washer to connect the plate to the lever frame especially for the left hand bolt and don't leave any extra length or it interferes with the left side of the ash tray hole. The right hand bolt can be more like a 6x1.0 metric or 1/4-20 bolt. Use bolts with thin heads or they will hit the underside of the console.

I did not copy the plate in the ebay ad, I made my own and discovered the above specs and issues.

Its a whole nother issue why I'm installing SU choke cables today.... I couldn't be foresaking triple carbs could I? Heavens forfend...

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1