• Announcements

• Mike

Technical Articles Forum   11/01/2016

Please note this forum is reserved for technical articles and documents written by members. If you have a general Z question, please post it to a different discussion forum. If you have a write-up that you're just dying to tell the world... please put it here. We will allow anyone to post information. Just make sure your information is accurate.  We may promote your article to our Knowledge Base after reviewing your post.
Captain Obvious

Steering Rack Disassembly and Refurb

I will report back when I get a good look. It was still in the oven cooling when I shut it down tonight.

Well that's probably not good. I had suggested they were epoxy, but I should have been a little more specific. They are plastic, but I don't know if they are thermoplastic, or thermoset. Sounds like they are thermoplastic...

So how much goop came out? Just tiny dots like what would fill the holes, or once it turned runny, did a large amount come running out of the holes? Like it was melting out of an internal cavity of some kind?

Pics or it didn't happen.  :)

This has probably been noticed before but the 240Z racks are different from 280Z.  Y'all 240Z people have a filler plug

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well that's probably not good. I had suggested they were epoxy, but I should have been a little more specific. They are plastic, but I don't know if they are thermoplastic, or thermoset. Sounds like they are thermoplastic...

So how much goop came out? Just tiny dots like what would fill the holes, or once it turned runny, did a large amount come running out of the holes? Like it was melting out of an internal cavity of some kind?

Pics or it didn't happen.  :)

Not much came out. What DID drain out quickly burned up in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes. There was a little residue on the rack , but from what I saw, it should only be what was in the small dimples on the rack. I don't think there was an excess from an internal cavity.

Did you poke a wire in to the dimples?  Blow some air in and see where it comes out.  Is there a rattle inside now?

Just asking the things that I'd be doing...

Good questions. I will do more investigation when I get home and take it out of the oven (where I left it to cool down last night).

If the burnt plastic smells like burnt hair, it's probably a thermoplastic nylon.