IGNORED

Steering Rack Disassembly and Refurb

Captain Obvious

That's some great internet detective work. I wanted to see more pictures though, so I went to my favorite economy site, Rockauto.com, and the pictures didn't look like your EMPI part. So I plugged your EMPI numbers in to the Google and found an EBay link that suggests the car would be a 92-99 Nissan Sentra.

Just helping get the most out of your work. Makes me want to go rebuild my rack now. I know I'll be checking the boots/bellows for damage next time I get a chance.

Empi 48204 53Y25 Power Steering Rack Boot Kit Fits Nissan | eBay (check the interchange number in "item specifics")

Edit - Maybe I'm just muddying up the thread but it looks like that 88-1509 bellows fits several cars. Found another EMPI catalog. Looks like 88-1527 does fit the Miatas. Probably best to just get the EMPI brand 88-1509 part rather than a boot that fits the car. Anyway, thanks for sharing! http://www.empius.com/bcatalog/PDFs/2013_B_Catalog.pdf

Edited by Zed Head

Yeah, it's not just you. The applications for where the boots get used is a little muddy.

Remember... This is an aftermarket company that is trying to fit their boots anywhere they can. It might not be a perfect fit on the car, but someone in their application group told sales it would work. That's what got us into trouble at RockAuto in the first place with the boots where the big end is way too big. Someone said the generic fit would work, but they were wrong.

Here's a snippet from the EMPI catalog with the three that I think would work:

• The first is 88-1509 and I have verified through personal experience that it works great.
  • Second is 88-1527 and the dimensions look like it would work perfect as well. Slightly smaller large end and slightly longer natural length. Both of those should be OK though.
  • Third is the 88-1536, and the big end is slightly larger and so is the small end. Small end might require a clamp.

empiboots_zps660d3235.jpg

I just wish other mfgrs included mechanical shots like that. They all used to, but very few do anymore. Now they all want you to go their website and enter the vehicle and (since they're all so much smarter than I am) they'll tell you what fits. :sick:

So a big shout out to EMPI for still including info in their catalog that allows some independent thought.

Actually, I got mine from Amazon. They were $8.99 each and free shipping (because my wife has the "prime" something).

However, that said... I've apparently created a run on these things because I went back to look at the page where I bought them, and they've run out of stock on the 88-1509.

I didn't look local, but I would assume anyone who carries EMPI could get you any number they make. Actually, EMPI is in your neck of the woods, right? Maybe you could just stop in? :classic:

On edit, here's one on ebay from JC Whitney.

New Mevotech Steering Rack Boot Front Chevy Pontiac Fiero Chevette T1000 MK6299 | eBay

They say the brand is movotech, but if you look at the pics, you can see the EMPI 88-1509 number molded into the rubber at the large end. They say it fits Fiero and Chevette, and the EMPI catalog agrees. Might be cheaper if you go to JCW direct instead of getting it from them off ebay.

Edited by Captain Obvious

Doing some more cross referencing, it appears it might also be the same as:

Beck-Arnley P/N 103-2679:

New Beck Arnley Rack Pinion Bellow Kit Gear Boot Cover 103 2679 | eBay

MEVOTECH P/N MK6299:

New Mevotech Steering Rack Boot Front Chevy Pontiac Fiero Chevette T1000 MK6299 | eBay

ACDELCO Part # 45A7011

All the above numbers are on Rock Auto as well. They don't seem to have the EMPI number, but they've got Beck-Arnley, Mevotech, and ACDelco.

Remember however, that the farther you move away from the source, and the number of times you cross reference to competitor, the confidence in accuracy decreases.

For about $15, you could buy any of those off RockAuto and confirm fitment though!

Probably others, but that should get you started. :)

Edited by Captain Obvious

Haha! yes they are close...hour drive and in the same area as Motorsport Auto! I better just order online. Would be hard to not swing by MSA and then harder to not walk out with anything from MSA! :finger: I will probably call EMPI direct for a local supplier. Thanks for the info Capt.

The most intricate part of the rack work was probably getting the lower pinion bearing out and back in. I used a "blind bearing puller" from HF. This tool uses an expanding mandrel that pushes outwards against the inner race and a slide hammer to knock the bearing up and out of the rack housing. And I used my hydraulic press to put that lower bearing back into place after cleaning and greasing. Other than that lower bearing, everything can be handled with traditional hand tools.

What if you don't want to go through that much effort?

You can grease the two bronze bushings at the ends of the rack housing by slathering the rack gear with grease and running it back and forth a bunch of times. You can grease the rack gear teeth (and hence the pinion gear teeth) by slathering the exposed rack teeth that poke out of the end when the steering is turned all the way to one side. The sliding faces of the tension shoe will also get grease by slathering the exposed rack gear.

What you CAN'T do is get to the bearings on the pinion gear shaft without pulling the pinion out of the housing.

So you can do a decent job of getting to maybe 75% of what needs grease without taking anything off the rack at all. In fact, that 75% can be done with the rack on the car without even disconnecting the tie rods. However, that last 25% requires pulling the pinion gear.