IGNORED

9 SMD LED too long for Engine bay light lens

EuroDat

I ordered a replacement 9 SMD LED (BA9S) for my engine bay light thinking it would give more light than the bulb Im using now.

Only problem is the LED won't fit under the standard lens. Its too short.

post-26512-14150827383963_thumb.jpg

To get it to fit I made a 10mm longer lens out of two other ones I made and from that I made a mold for a new longer lens.

post-26512-14150827384971_thumb.jpg

Now the LED fits and the end result looks like the original all be it a little longer.

post-26512-14150827385892_thumb.jpg

Its a lot brighter than my old bulb and uses a lot less current. Im happy.

Chas

post-26512-14150827383484_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150827384425_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150827385418_thumb.jpg

Yea, I thought it might of been the lens I made by copying an old one that was shorter, but the other spare original is also the same length and that one came from a completly different vehicle.

This longer one fits the LEDs I have and looks great. There might be other types available, but all I could find where all 39mm.

Chas

Yea, I thought it might of been the lens I made by copying an old one that was shorter, but the other spare original is also the same length and that one came from a completly different vehicle.

This longer one fits the LEDs I have and looks great. There might be other types available, but all I could find where all 39mm.

Chas

My guess then is that the 9 LED bulb I bought was a little shorter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree that using the LED bulb might produce a brighter light with what is likely to be a slightly lower supply voltage.

Why not substitute a longer lens made of a more transparent plastic? The lamp is new, why not the cover? You would just reuse the old base and add a longer dome.

Edited by TomoHawk