IGNORED

[2014] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Arne

Today I painted the 240z back floor "hunter green" a spray paint color from thrifty hardware similar to the original #907 green for my car. Last summer I scraped off the tar material that was back there so I painted it today so it would not be bare metal. I thought it was interesting that most of the metal was shiny and rust free underneath that tar stuff. I know it is like undercoat but I didn't think it was supposed to be much protection.

Layed on my back in the garage with hot water from the hose - washed / degreased / rinsed the entire underside of my car. Getting ready to re-freshen the undercoating with some 3M and get ready to put the rear suspension, diff, brake system back in..........a very wet job to say the least!

It's one of those "while I am at it" projects. What else would you do if the rear suspension, exhaust, diff, struts were out of your azz end? Yep, pull the tank, evap tank, return lines............"while I am at it"! Vapor hoses are a PITA - two parts are left from Nissan - 1 is formed - the other is not. All 5 lines different sizes for venting.......WTH!!

Break out the POR15 again.........might as well do the EVAP tank and the gas tank "while I am at it"..................let's see what else I can find back there. I've already checked all the rubber plugs to make sure I'm keeping exhast fumes out.....just ordered a new filler hose...."while I am at it".

Damn - I'm glad I've got an understanding wife!! ;)

Edited by Travel'n Man

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Replaced most of the coolant hoses in my neighbor's 240Z, with exception of the under-dash heater hoses. No leaks, just preventative maintenance.

The original dealer installed A/C makes the interior hose connections very difficult to get at, and I had to remove the A/C evaporator. Her heater valve was completely frozen, so I have to order a new one before I can complete the job, probably next weekend. I think the heater hoses and valve had never been replaced!

Just got the 78 out of the shop and breaking it in after a rebuild. Used N42 block, head (gasket match porting), and intake. I went with flattop pistons for ~10.3:1 compression and the cam got a regrind from Elgin to a Stage 2-2.5, triple ground valves w/Isky springs, a 6-3-2 header, and 2.5" exhaust. I had already lowered it with Eibach progressively wound springs and KYBs. I've got the Koenig rewinds as well. Gotta get those bumpers off of there! This is my daily driver.

Travel'n Man, great looking car!

I spent my night with one victory and one defeat. I swapped out the shifter bushings which is night and day, mostly due to the bushings not being there in the first place! Here's a video to show the difference:

The defeat was swapping out my thermostat. It's stuck open so I picked up an $8 replacement and figured two bolts should only take 5 minutes of my time. That was until the bolt closest to the block sheared in half. >_< Spent an hour with a left hand thread bit trying to back it out to no avail. I've got it soaking in PB blaster hoping that'll help loosen it up for tomorrow's round 2. :cry: