IGNORED

Cam's 1977 240k Sedan

Yamahacam

I know I have posted a few pics before but that was under the heading of How stuffed is too stuffed. It does not describe my second sedan so well as it does my first one. I bought a very rusty one as it was the only one I could get my hands on but ended up being a great parts car. Roll forward about 9 months and I got a phone call from a guy in Melbourne who had his late fathers car garaged for many years and decided to sell it. He got my number by googling Datsun 240k sedan and my gumtree add came up as the first result. He asked me what I thought it was worth and I gave him an honest answer. By chance I was to be in Melbourne 4 days later( I have not been to Melb since 1994 sports trip). Could not believe my luck. The owner picked me up from the course I was attending and took me out to look at the car. He asked a lot about what I planned to do with the car, checking to see if it was going to a good home I think. Checked it out, agreed on a price and I had it transported back to Brisbane.post-28990-1415082670853_thumb.jpg

The car ran but only just enough to save me money on the car carrier. Had milky oil and ran pretty rough but at least I knew it was all there. Most of the first week was spent admiring what I had found as I was quite sick. After that I ripped the head off to find lots of corrosion in the head and some damage to bore 6 from sitting water. Sent the head off to Northside Cylinder heads and he welded up the blown out ports, lapped the valves and refaced the seats skimmed the head and cleaned it all up. I ended up honing bore 6 and reassembled to see if there would be any smoke. All new coolant hoses, water pump, thermo housing and water outlets and cleaned radiator.post-28990-14150826709172_thumb.jpg

post-28990-14150826709817_thumb.jpg

Getting closer to being a winner. Now it runs reliably I need it to perform better. Maybe rose coloured glasses but I always remembered it being quicker. I inherited one in about 1997 with a 4 spd manual, now this one has a 3 spd auto and it is slow. Do they really go poorly with the auto? My parts car has a 5 spd in it so this is the next challenge. Hope it makes the big difference I am looking for. Did the Pertronix electronic ignition and this has made it run a lot cleaner(combined witth a better cond distributor). Alternator has already been modded to take internally regulated unit so upgrade should be easy. Wanted to stay with single carb for less problems in my life but will see how things turn out after the manual. BTW I used the 1761 Pertronix ignitor with the 3 ohm coil as recommended for the Datsun 240z single point Hitachi.post-28990-14150826721623_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got the exhaust replaced today, sounds heaps better. Nice deep and little bit lumpy idle. Does resonate a little about 1500rpm but never there for long anyway. After adjusting the kick down solenoid, bypassing ballast resistor and replacing exhaust the car is really starting to go well like I remember. Still need the manual though.