IGNORED

? on exhaust hangers

mjr45

The exhaust hangers both metal and rubber parts were absolutely toast on my 280/ The local shop where I get exhaust work done is great on big Detroit V-8's, not so much and Datsun's. They looked at the car and got the deer in headlight look when I said I need new hangers for custom exhaust they are building, any idea's for building new hangers?

I haven't had my exhaust done yet on the 280, but I guess I didn't even think about the factory hangers - I just assumed they'd tack weld a hanger in place where needed, like when I had my LTD and Accord done.

Generally new hangers are small bar stock that is cut, bent and welded on the exhaust with some type of slip in rubber mount to the frame. The original Z hangers had a piece of rubber, looked like a strip of old tire, that bolted to the exhaust and the frame. With the bolt on parts on mine now pile of rusted broken bolts I'm kind lost as to what to tell the shop.

Perhaps you are just using terms they are not familiar with, but any exhaust shop that doesn't know how to properly hang the exhaust they are installing, regardless of make of car, should be avoided at all cost.

Mjr34

I did the same thing Jeff did. Go to the local autoparts store and see which one will fit your applications. I had to modify - er..cut the rubber a bit - on one of mine but its holds it rather well. I didn't get them welded on - I should probably - I just used a U clamp to hold them onto the exhaust, it does the job. Also, how and an exhuast shop not know how to make hangers, I'm confused.

Hope that helps

Jan

The shop I use makes the hangers from plain round stock and they were trying to figure out how to use solid hangers with no rubber, at which point I said whoa! I'll figure it out myself and brought the car back home with an open exhaust, about 18" of stock exhaust from the header down, Sounded kinda cool but couldn't tolerate it for very long.