IGNORED

Controls for "factory" air conditioning on my '72 Z.

Coastalman

I have finally fixed the old air conditioning with a new rotary compressor and am getting cold air. There doesn't seem to be any direction on how to set the environmental control levers in the dash for the best use of the ac. Would someone please let me know where the levers need to be set? Obviously the heat needs to be off, but where else are the levers set?

Thanks,

Charlie

When you say "factory Air Conditioning", I think you mean "dealer installed Air Conditioning". I think Factory air was not available until August of 1973.

For a dealer installed system, at least on earlier series 1 cars with Frigi-king units, all heater/vent function control levers should be in the left, OFF,

position. Your system should have an air conditioning controller mounted either at the bottom edge of dash below the emergency flasher switch for

Frigi-King, or on the front, left edge of the center console for another dealer installed manufacturer which I can't remember right now. With this controller you can turn the A/C on or off.

The reason, on early Frigi-King cars, that the top OFF-VENT-HEAT slide lever on the heater control panel needs to be in the OFF position is:

1. A mirco-switch is installed at this vent door actuator cable located behind the fan motor on the passenger side under the dash.

You can follow this actuator cable up to the right side of the heater plenum behind the heater fan motor/squirrel cage housing

to locate where this micro-switch is installed at the pivot point of this vent door cable actuator.

2. If the air conditioning controller is left in the ON position, moving the top heater control lever from VENT to OFF will turn the Acompressor

on, and visa versa. I used to just leave my A/C controller in the ON postion, and would turn my A/C on or off by must moving

this top heater control slide lever between VENT and OFF to controll the A/C.

I welcome any corrections to this analysis, and hope this explanation is helpful.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

• 6 months later...

I own a 1972 Datsun 240z that has never had an AC system installed.

i really need to know where to buy a kit that will fit perfectly in my 1972

Datsun 240Z with no components hanging down underneath the passengers

glove box? Will i be able to opérate it using the original indash ac

control knobs actually present in the car?

Does this kit include all the parts i need such as the lines, the

control unit, the harness, the compressor aluminium bracket, the drain

hose, the low pressure switch, expansion valve, vacuum tank and vacuum

hoses, etc...

The main purpose is to be able to use the indash controls as per your case.

Courtesy Nissan has the complete AC kit for your car for $999.99. Check their web site. It will duct the cold air through your existing dash vents. No added vents under the dash. MSA also sells the kit and I think it's drop shipped from Courtesy.

I have that kit in my '71 Z as a replacement for the older AC I had installed in 1972.

Dennis

Courtesy Nissan has the complete AC kit for your car for $999.99. Check their web site. It will duct the cold air through your existing dash vents. No added vents under the dash. MSA also sells the kit and I think it's drop shipped from Courtesy.

I have that kit in my '71 Z as a replacement for the older AC I had installed in 1972.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm curious if you installed the AC kit yourself. If so, how difficult a procedure was it?

I just tried to connect to Courtesy Nissan but could not connect to their web site. MSA lists a kit but doesn't provide many installation details.

Cheers,

George

Hi Dennis,

I'm curious if you installed the AC kit yourself. If so, how difficult a procedure was it?

I just tried to connect to Courtesy Nissan but could not connect to their web site. MSA lists a kit but doesn't provide many installation details.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

My mechanic did the installation for about $600. The cost included removing all of the old AC components from 1972 - York compressor, etc.

Here's the link to the Courtesy AC unit:

1970-1973 240Z A/C (R134 freon) :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Instructions are minimal. I suppose they assume the buyer will either have the skill to figure it out or have it done by a pro. I bought the kit through MSA, but it was shipped from Texas, leading me to believe it came from Courtesy - same price both places.

Dennis

Hi George,

My mechanic did the installation for about $600. The cost included removing all of the old AC components from 1972 - York compressor, etc.

Here's the link to the Courtesy AC unit:

1970-1973 240Z A/C (R134 freon) :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Instructions are minimal. I suppose they assume the buyer will either have the skill to figure it out or have it done by a pro. I bought the kit through MSA, but it was shipped from Texas, leading me to believe it came from Courtesy - same price both places.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis

I just noted that Courtesy suggests 'professional' installation. Also, they are asking $150.00 less than MSA at this time.

Won't need it up here for a few days...temps are predicted to go as low as -30F !!

Cheers,

George