IGNORED

Antenna Rebuild / Restore

JLPurcell

21 minutes ago, nix240z said:

I am making a batch of new ones this week. The only difference is that the reproduction is a little wider at the top by about 0.5mm. The original is .035" and my reproduction is .055" wide. The only thing you need to do is get the old top out of the finisher nut and install the new along with original star looking washer( metal retainer).  Other than the small size difference, it is a perfect fit and look. It is also nice and tight around the antenna mast. 

original is on the left and reproduction is on the right.

antenna2.jpg

NIX240z, looks good. Let me know when available or I can just pre-order if you prefer. JLP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motorman7 said:

@nix240z: Would be nice to get the rubber/plastic below that as well if available.  Time takes its' toll on plastic and rubber.

Does the plastic one go up on top and the rubber one is below?

I have a really good sample of the black plastic one but my rubber one is not so perfect. 

I could machine a new rubber one as a master but that is a lot of work.

49 minutes ago, nix240z said:

Does the plastic one go up on top and the rubber one is below?

I have a really good sample of the black plastic one but my rubber one is not so perfect. 

I could machine a new rubber one as a master but that is a lot of work.

Yes, the larger black piece that looks like a dome is plastic.  The rubber disc shaped piece is below.  The plastic part tends to disintegrate and the rubber piece hardens.  The parts that are below the body are usually in great shape since they are not exposed to the elements.  It's just those upper parts that are a problem.

here is what I have.

The part on the right is the rubber part that goes on the lower part  and should be inside the car. This is the part that my sample is not perfect but maybe this one is not so important since it is inside the car. 

The part on the left is the hard plastic part that goes on the outside. I have a near perfect sample of this and can do this one. 

I already have the antenna base seal available.

http://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6517164

feed back welcome.

antenna3.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motorman7 said:

@nix240z: Would be nice to get the rubber/plastic below that as well if available.  Time takes its' toll on plastic and rubber.

We need to run a poll on the "ball" at the base of the mast. If there is enough interest nix will make it. I know I would like to have a few of each. JLP

here is what I have.
The part on the right is the rubber part that goes on the lower part  and should be inside the car. This is the part that my sample is not perfect but maybe this one is not so important since it is inside the car. 
The part on the left is the hard plastic part that goes on the outside. I have a near perfect sample of this and can do this one. 
I already have the antenna base seal available.
 http://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6517164
feed back welcome.
antenna3.jpg.0a8b39c13ac66d92e375efd5890adeef.jpg
I found a really nice one. It's still very soft.

Chuck
IMG_20180122_175355376.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

There is another piece to this assembly that often has deteriorated to the point of it missing altogether.

Just below the finisher nut is a rubber washer that fits between the finisher and the polished stainless steel cap that covers the top of the rubber or plastic ball.

This arrangement:

Antenna finisher assembly.jpg

This rubber washer seals the space between the bottom of the finisher nut and the polished stainless cap.

It has a concave profile that matches the curvature of the polished cap.

All of the examples that I have of this part are not in very good condition. They are serviceable and could be used for a pattern if needed as they are intact,--- just somewhat weathered---- as you can possibly tell in the photo above.

While I would like for Steve to reproduce the balls, I feel we should also explore the reproduction of this piece.

On another issue:

As everyone knows that has tried to find one---NOS antenna masts are not available or affordable.

Almost all of the antenna motor and housing assemblies that I have were found to be restorable to working condition

I have been trying to find an "off the shelf" aftermarket antenna mast that would fit the original antenna assembly.

I have tried a few and although they are close to fitting they are not close enough. They need to be 10 mm in diameter and the closest I have gotten is 9 mm.

There are manufacturer's of masts in Taiwan and Hong Kong that make these masts very inexpensively when purchased in lots of 100 or more.

I would propose that we gauge interest in reaching out to a few of these suppliers (including Harada-- the original supplier) and see if they could "re-produce" a proper mast.

It might come in at less than the hundreds of $ they currently bring!    :ARGENT: :omg:

Anyone interested?

Zup