IGNORED

Shhhh, The Police Like It Quiet.

Graverobber

OKay, so I took my 1970 240Z out last night and got pulled over by the cops for being too loud. I had the week before had a Turbo Thrush muffler installed as the old one was punched full of rust holes. Now I'll admit that the car is loud, but I thought the new muffler had - you know - muffled that enough. I guess not.

So, I'm wondering if adding a resonator mid-pipe might make it sufficiently quieter and keep the cops off my back? I'm thinking about either this one -

Walker Exhaust 17861 Sound FX Resonator Universal : Amazon.com : Automotive

or this one-

Flowtech 50252 FlowTech Red Hots Glass Pack Mufflers

but don't want to go to the trouble and expense if a resonator isn't going to help. I just want the car to be quiet enough that the cops don't bust me. Plus I have to deal with the stupid fixit ticket.

Alternatively, does anyone have any experience with this?

Motorsport! SALE! MSA Premium Exhaust System, 70-72, 74 240Z-260Z (For Stock Manifold) - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

MSA says that it's louder than stock. Does that mean it's so loud that it'll still get me in trouble? Sigh.

Thanks in advance.

When I built my custom exhaust using a Magnaflow dual outlet at the rear, it was way too loud. I had the muffler shop add a 24" glasspack in the tunnel and that quieted it to a reasonable level.

I have the MSA exhaust system that you referenced, except that I also have a header. I never got a ticket for a noise violation, but it was too loud for me. Like Arne, I added a glass pack in the long straight section that fits inside the transmission tunnel.

I had an old GT6 triumph in the 70s that I ran for a while with just the resonator. Even with the small 2 liter engine that was too loud for me, couldn't hear the radio. Did get pulled over once but just got a fix it in a week and there is no cost kind of thing. Before that pull over another cop got my attention as he cruised next to me and pointed to the muffler and mouthed the words "too loud".

Argh! Thank you all for your feedback, it's very helpful. Right now it looks like I don't have a straight forward route to solving my noise problem. Has anyone had any experience with the MSA Twice Pipe system?

Motorsport! SALE! Twice Pipes Exhaust, 70-72, 74, 240Z-260Z With Stock Exhaust Manifold - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

That looks like a reasonably priced option and with two glass packs it is perhaps a quieter solution to my single Turbo Thrush, which was only $23 on Amazon so I won't cry over dumping it. I'm concerned however that should it prove too still too noisy I will have a real challenge adding a second resonator or glass pack inline due to the double our trouble nature of the set up.

Okay, I bit the bullet and bought the MSA premium exhaust with the stock down pipe. Before installing, I'm going to have a 12" resonator welded into the long pipe. I'm thinking of getting a Walker 24440 - Glass Pack by Walker (part#24440) / Mufflers - and having a shop weld it in. I weld like a drunk dog pisses.

I think that should work pretty well. But bear in mind that - at least in my car - the center pipe ran very close to the left side of the tunnel. I had to have a couple of S pipes added to move the glasspack to the middle for clearance. I'd recommend fitting it as-is first, both to check for loudness, and to know what will need to be done if you need the glasspack.

post-8596-14150823757604_thumb.jpg