IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

Hello,

My name is Bart, and I've been on this forum before in the past, when I had a 73 240Z. That project never made it to much rust, and I sold it for parts. It's been quiet for a while,and personally I kept thinking of owning another 240Z in the future, but good ones are expensive here in The Netherlands, compared to the US. But since I started my own company, things got better financially, and last year I was able to afford myself another 240Z. This time a 71. -> HLS30 32581

Well I had to share it with you guys offcourse, here are the Z enthousiasts ! :classic:

Learned from the past on the rust problems, I decided that I didn't want a " that kind of a project " anymore. The old Z cars are almost impossible to find overhere, but oneday thanks to some add on some classic car site, I ended up finding Joop Stolze Classic Cars in the West, and he had about 12 + z's standing there :eek: ...

Here's his website: Joop Stolze Classic Cars

This Z is imported from the USA, and I even got the previous owners information with it.

See here:

dsc00980qr.jpg

dsc00979wp.jpg

dsc00978zw.jpg

dsc00977p.jpg

dsc00976zx.jpg

dsc00975c.jpg

They where ranged different prices, but all where i quite a good shape. So I decided to take one with a little work to be done for a lower price, it had bad spots on the floor and a bit in the front, but this needed just a little welding. It looked liked the previous owner had jacked the floors up :mad:

As it looked then when I picked it up:

xpaicj.jpg

Because of my work, I don't have much time to work on the Z, cause I'm busy everyday untill late. I went looking for a classic car repair shop, and eventually found one, not far from my hometown.

The car still needs Dutch license plates, but this will be done soon, when it's goes for the road safety check.

Things that needed to be done where:

- Engine tune up

- Welding to the floors and front inside fenders.

- New underbody coating.

- Overhaul of brakes and suspension/bushes etc.

- Rear bumper repair

- Electrical repair, also alot of meters on the dash did not function.

- Master brake cylinder replacement

- small detail things exterior and interior. ( radio, antenna, etc )

- doors alignment = hell !

- EU headlights with integrated parking lights.

- must be forgetting something!

All that's left now, is some piece of the heater/blower towards the central panel, and dovetails ( for the doors ).

Here are some pictures:

ImageShack Album - 14 images

ImageShack™ slideshow

And now we are almost done:

datsun240zcleaned2.jpg

datsun240zcleaned.jpg

datsun240zcleanedinteri.jpg

Hope you like it.

Bart.

Edited by bartsscooterservice
  • Like 1

Hello Bart,

Welcome back to the forum and congratulations on purchasing your 240Z! I immediately noticed the car was previously registered in Iowa. It was located near Des Moines, which is about 2 hours west from where I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. Before finding the 240Z I bought last summer, I used to spend hours online looking at cars for sale and documenting cars that were nearby. When I saw the photos of your Z something looked familiar and then I realized this car was for sale in De Soto, IA last year on Craigslist! Actually, it first went up for sale 2011 and then was relisted in early 2012 (on both Craigslist and Ebay). I've uploaded photos of the car when it was back in the States here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/members/ehlersrs-albums-bart-s-1971-240z.html

It appears to have the normal "midwest" rust, but looks a lot better than most examples I've seen around here. The original ad stated it had interior work, such as new seat covers and carpet. It's also great to see the previous owners kept the original documentation and records.

Congratulations again and keep us posted on your progress!

Robert S.

Thanks Robert and Dennis :)

That information is really cool ! Thank you. I will store those pictures and information with the other paperwork I have.

Maybe we can even track the first and last owner that would be fun?! As you can see on the pictures, the last owner seemed to be Alan Foster,van Gundy and the first owner Hertel R.E Jr ? As shown on the warranty card.

The bodywork and interior was indeed not bad. But the previous owner did a scrappy even dangerous job on the floorpan repair, as he seemed to have used sheet metal and popnailed it to the floor over the rust....

Bart,

It was great meeting you and glad to hear you enjoyed the photos of your car. I still can't believe not long ago it was just a few hours from here and now it's half way around the world! I've talked to all of the previous owners of my car, including the original owner who is now 81. He had some great stories to share about the car and his past experiences. I was hoping to located a photo of the car from the original and second owner, but they didn't seem to take any. Anyway, it looks like Alan VanGundy still lives in Iowa, so he would be easy to contact. Does the paperwork indicate how many previous owners there were? My car came with the maintainence records up to 1988, so I was able to track down the owners. I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois. Well, if you'd like help tracking down the previous owners I'd be glad to help!

Robert S.

seemed to have used sheet metal and popnailed it to the floor over the rust....

Hi Bart, Welcome to the club. I think you mean "pop rivited". Thats a really nice Z you got. Like you said, they are hard to find in Europe. Everthing thats still on the road comes from the states or its never left the garage in the winter or rainy days.

Goodluck with the restoration and those floorpans.

Bart,

It was great meeting you and glad to hear you enjoyed the photos of your car. I still can't believe not long ago it was just a few hours from here and now it's half way around the world! I've talked to all of the previous owners of my car, including the original owner who is now 81. He had some great stories to share about the car and his past experiences. I was hoping to located a photo of the car from the original and second owner, but they didn't seem to take any. Anyway, it looks like Alan VanGundy still lives in Iowa, so he would be easy to contact. Does the paperwork indicate how many previous owners there were? My car came with the maintainence records up to 1988, so I was able to track down the owners. I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois. Well, if you'd like help tracking down the previous owners I'd be glad to help!

Robert S.

Hello Robert,

Isn't it nice to learn some history :) ? Yeah, it's indeed now on the other side of the atlantic.. It seems Joop Stolze bought the car, and according to your post, it stood there for about 11 months, then I bought it. So lucky, not standing still that long..

I looked at the paperwork, the last owner I can find:

Alan VanGundy

35754 Nome CT

De Soto, IA 50069 ( Date on repair bill says 05/24/2010 )

He also seems to have an old adress(es) ?:

VanGundy, Alan Foster

250 NE Dartmoor Ln 17

Waukee, IA 50263

Alan VanGundy

227 Summertree Ln

Lawrence KS 66049

What I also found in the paperwork:

Steven Campbell

446 Michigan

Law, KS 66044 ( date repair bill 4/24/1987, and also a loan check for financing the car I think from 1/3/1987 )

First owner? :

Hertel R E JR

5244 Foxridge dr

Shawnee Missionks 66202 ( Date 07/27/1971 )

If you can help that would be very nice :)

Bart

I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois.

Yeah that first one, was a total rust bucket, but also a good learner on old Z's... Most parts went okay, I just messed up the floors by cutting it to fast, without looking how it was original, but it could have been okay if it where to be a Hybrid? Anyhow if I had finished to body, alle the other parts where still a drama, so in that time I figured to go for another Z in the future instead. But they are very rare here in the Netherlands, let alone Europe. So it was a nightmare finding a good one, till one day I traced down Joop Stolze by some add. I was like " wow " this place is amazing... like a secret barn find...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bart -

Alan VanGundy here - previous owner of your '71 before it crossed the pond! It's great to have found you and hear these updates on "my" 240!

As a couple other members noted, I had the car for sale locally but ended up selling it to Stolze on Ebay. When the car left on an auto transport to the Netherlands, I figured it was the last time I would see it or hear of it. Small world indeed! I had found pictures of it on Stolze's website but I'm glad to learn it has found a permenant home.

I was on these forums regularly when I owned the Z but haven't been around much since selling it. Imagine my surprise today when I found your comment on the Youtube video and finding this thread on Classic Z. I imagine it might have equaled your surprise when you found YOUR 240 on Youtube!

Anyway, I have owned several "classic" cars and always appreciated knowing their history so I'm glad you received the paperwork I sent along with the car. I'll be happy to chat with you more and share comments on the car.

Alan V.

• Like 1

Bart: Sorry I haven't responded, the last few weeks have been busy! I'll see what I can found out about the other owners (Steven Campbell and Hertel R E JR). Since Hertel's name is on the warranty card, I'm sure he's the original owner. That was the case with the original owner of my car. I also browsed through Stolze's website and was amazed to see all of those Z's in one place! I hope the progress on your car is coming along.

Alan: Glad to hear from you! After seeing photos of Bart's new Z it looked awfuly familiar. :) I was still saving to buy a Z when I ran across the ads for your car in Iowa. I was also surprised to see the car show up in the Netherlands. Also, I enjoyed seeing the pohtos of the car on your user profile. Good to meet you and it's nice to meet another Z fan in Iowa!

Robert S.