IGNORED

[2013] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Arne

Technically, it was this weekend... I installed new tune-up parts and plug wires, then adjusted the carbs. No evidence of exhaust ot vacuum leakge. Set the timing "by ear" and I thinks it's a bit too advanced. (I lent my timing light to a friend who broke it...

But yesterday, but I drove to Mountan View & back. Took a guy from work out for a quick ride before taking her home. Was soo good to get her back on the road!

Well today did nothing, But lately i did remove all suspension, break, Driveshaft , muffler just to have room to work. then i fidured that i would look at my gas tank while you are there so removed it.

Removed every layer of paint, undercoating and surface rust on it. painted the tank replace all rubber hoses. repainted the straps. did a refurb on the 280zx brake calipers that i have (then a week or so after found a brand new set

on ratsun. that i bought for 75$. Bought T3 lower control arms, and broke a tooth last week had it repared on friday so could not get the 2 bushings and bunch of bolts and nuts that are waiting for me at the warehouse in Maine.

So i will not work on the car today or tomorow. But i am ready i got every parts. It will be VLSD R200, Z31 CV's, Chequered flag racing Axles and CV Companion flange, T3 lower arms, Urethane Bushing, 280zx Brakes, tokico suspension.

I will post pictures when i am done.

By the way thank's to all of these very helpfull posts that i looked at while disassembling.

Note that this is just the start next year i will do the front.

I replaced the brake master cylinder and brake booster today. I had to replace them about 8 years ago, too. Back then, I had to have my wife help me by holding the booster in place. I eventually had to break things loose to adjust the rod as I left it too long. This time, I did it all solo and faster. A bungee cord did the trick for holding the brake booster in place until I could get it fastened on the inside. I even got the clevis pin through the hole in only a couple of tries, and by some miracle, the hole for the cotter pin was aligned just right for me, too.

I also tried bleaching an old washer bottle today. I needed more hydrogen peroxide, though. By the way, Sun detergent has an oxygen based bleach that is the same as OxiClean but a lot cheaper.

Got most of the metalwork done under the left - and final - quarter panel, which will get welded on tomorrow. I bought this car as a parts car for a racer I built for my wife in 1994. Drove it for a while then too. Sold the race car in 2003, but they didn't want the parts car....so I decided it was a "sign" and decided to rebuild it in 2010 - and here I am. (Though I've restored several other cars in the mean-time). As anyone who's done a restoration knows, finishing the metal work is a major milestone! Thanks to Dan (240dkw) for selling me the sheet metal several years back - using the last pieces now!

113_3850.JPG

113_3864.JPG

113_3870.JPG

Other side was finished last weekend -

113_3826.JPG

See the entire build here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/check-out-my-ride/36032-e-tek-racing-71-parts-car-resto.html

Well, after I couldn't get the line to the rear brakes to seal properly with last week's effort, I replaced the master cylinder again and did the bleeding today. I found a leak on the line to the front brakes, but a quick couple of turns of the wrench fixed that problem.

Started cleaning the top of the 280's engine. Took my time and zinc and cad coated (Caswell Plating Kit) the parts that needed it. I did not have the capability to do the fuel lines so I painted them high temp silver.

All of my connectors to the injectors are on their last legs (very fragile) where they have the little wires that connect to the plugs on the injectors.

Before post-13827-14150823059049_thumb.jpg

The great thing is after charging the battery for one night it started right up. I was very happy.:classic:

post-13827-14150823058279_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150823058618_thumb.jpg

My beloved Z sits in a bitter cold garage out in snowy Colorado awaiting my return while I putz around Huntsville Alabama taking care of family members. *sniff* Every time I see a Z of ANY vintage on the road, parked, or even in a hayfield I get a little sad. I visit Craigslist and search on Datsun occasionally just to reminisce. *sob*

Started cleaning the top of the 280's engine. Took my time and ...

Hoo boy that looks like a million dollars! You should start a service doing that for folks! Get a few spare parts to have pre-plated, valve covers, so you can turn 'em around in a few days.

I'd gladly pay $500 or more to have my engine looking like that!

FWIW, You can get new injector connectors on Ebay for a song. With a little black heat-shrink nobody needs to know they've been changed out.