IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

Yeah, but after sandlbasting you can clearly see what you have. ( surface rust looks worse than it is ) As I can judge from the pictures, it's rusty yes, but not that bad. And the rear fender original arches you can buy them online, they are not that difficult to weld in. Personally I would not cut it in half. After sandblasting, cutting and welding goes alot quicker, just take time to weld it in like factory. But your idea will work to, anyhow good luck to you! I will keep following it.

yeah but i would need to replace the complete damaged roof skin on the black one while the white allready has a roof skin with the roof window closed and of course i've checked all the pieces and it's rusted through at several points you can see from the inside, not only at the arched but at many parts. the problem with the black one is it was standing in the rain several months without any roof window collecting rain and snow on the inside, so the complete rear quarter panels, spare-tire-bucket and a lot of other pieces have big holes, are totally useless etc. The white one is in pretty good condition except the front-end and the rear upper panel which has been modified. i have been thinking for the best solution for a while now and it seems definitly the best way to use the best from both cars to make one great car out of them :) I will poste more pictures of the rust on the black one next time im working on the car if i remember but it's really worse than it looks while the white one is really better than it looks :)

Okay. But the white one also needs new floors right? If I read it correctly. I used to have a project like you, even worse on rust in the past, look here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/your-zcar-stories/29248-240z-long-way-new-again-4.html#post420583

But it went wrong because I cut it up to fast without looking the original factory lines on the floor. And I was still unknown with bodywork like you. I admire your dedication for restoring a European 240Z, since they are so much more rusted usually.

My dad also had a 240z in the past, where he also replaced the entire front end, like you want to do. So it is possible.

Another option is keep looking for other better shells to start with, it's basically up to how much work do you want to spend and the end result.. :classic:

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Nils,

If you want a new engine bay inspection light I just ordered one for my 280z. Its still available in the Nissan dealers in NL but under another nr. 26740-10W00. I had a bit of trouble tracking the new number down. Its for the 720 trucks up to 1986.

A lot of people think they are NLA because they cant find the older numbers in the system.

Chas

Part number for 240Z inspection light should be 26740-89904

see here: Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z Room Lamp & Inspection Lamp

thanks a lot. not sure if i will restore it, remove it or replace it. actually thats least important on my to do list at the moment - but thanks for your Input! Allways appreciate help and ideas :)

That part nr 89904 was for all the Datsuns until 1983 including the 280ZX, but for some reason then they changed the number to 10W00. Just noticed it in your photo's and thought you might be planning to fix it or get a new one.

It only cost €25.00 so restoring it is generally a waste of time and if its anything like mine the plastic lens crumbles in your hand if you squeeze it a little.