JDMjunkies.ch

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

Nils, Thats a serious repair you have planned. It will be inteesting to see how this all comes back together. My Z is completly rust free, but the rails have had a hard life and are all dented and bent. Ill probably change them.

Chas

Haha, it's more a "make-one-out-of-two" thing than a serous repair. i believe the black one would'nt make sense to repair and the white one would be very tricky to replace all the panels in the front end so i think this is the easiest way to get it fixed and after torby at http://www.latenightgarage.com/?p=669 did the exactly same i feel like this is a great idea to save the best from two cars.

Anyway i still need replacement of the frame rails but for this i will have another update soon, i hope :)

Also i still need to investigate a bit further on the quality of the black front end, i hope it's really as usable as i think it is :)

Spent another hour at the new (black) Z and "freed" the front end to have a closer look:

1) Grille off:

P1080175-Kopie.jpg

2) Fenders off:

P1080206-Kopie.jpg

P1080207-Kopie.jpg

3) Hood off:

P1080210-Kopie.jpg

P1080213-Kopie.jpg

Good news: I found what i was looking for: A pretty solid, straight and not-too-rusty Front end. Perfect for swapping it over to the white chassis :D

P1080218-Kopie.jpg

P1080221-Kopie.jpg

Hi Nils,

Looks like the front end is in pretty good condition. You have a good donor for the white Z.

Chas

You remember the "Datsun parts heaven" i wrote about a while ago? Today i visited this place again, because i wanted to pick up a set of pretty damn rare NOS OEM Frame rails for the 240Z. I've never seen them for sale so they must be something really sought after and i wanted to secure them for my project. here they are, can't get any better :)

P1080246-Kopie.jpg

Then my mate stefan and i Checked out a nice Z which is for sale and a few friends of us are interrested in:

P1080234-Kopie.jpg

And Stefan took a closer look at a Datsun 180B Triple S, a seriously rare car over here! He might be buying it soon, at least i hope so :)

P1080236-Kopie.jpg

And last but not least i edited an Image of my second's Z engine bay, just because it looked so nice and i loved the picture with the lens flare :)

P1080218-Kopie-Kopie.jpg

More updates to come soon :)

Haha yeah that's why i had to buy them. i've only seen once a set for sale in the USA, but without shipping outside US. and the baddog rails are good replicas but quite not OEM quailty :)

And yeah most of the car's have sonroofs in switzerland (Don't ask me why). when i bought my first z they told me it's a rare model without sunroof but i later figured out it once had a sunroof and just was closed by welding in a piece of sheet metal.

anyway, now i have a shell without sunroof that's pretty fine :)

Hi Nils,

I have been reading everything and looked at the pictures. Been there, done that. Personally I would not cut anything in half, but use the black one, and weld in those frame rails you showed in the picture, together with new floor pans. ( when cutting things away, make sure you weld support structure in first )The first thing you need to do, to get things done more quicker, is to get the black chassis sandblasted, once sandblasted things work alot quicker and cleaner, and you will see welding in the new parts will go alot quicker. Then you can put everything in protective primer/paint, and can start assemble the car.

Keep going !

Bart

Hi Bart, thanks for your input. the problem is the complete roof, side panels rear end and more is pretty bad on the black car, while good on the white car, so i think cutting them in half is still the best, but a complicated way to preserve the best from both cars...

Yeah, but after sandlbasting you can clearly see what you have. ( surface rust looks worse than it is ) As I can judge from the pictures, it's rusty yes, but not that bad. And the rear fender original arches you can buy them online, they are not that difficult to weld in. Personally I would not cut it in half. After sandblasting, cutting and welding goes alot quicker, just take time to weld it in like factory. But your idea will work to, anyhow good luck to you! I will keep following it.

yeah but i would need to replace the complete damaged roof skin on the black one while the white allready has a roof skin with the roof window closed and of course i've checked all the pieces and it's rusted through at several points you can see from the inside, not only at the arched but at many parts. the problem with the black one is it was standing in the rain several months without any roof window collecting rain and snow on the inside, so the complete rear quarter panels, spare-tire-bucket and a lot of other pieces have big holes, are totally useless etc. The white one is in pretty good condition except the front-end and the rear upper panel which has been modified. i have been thinking for the best solution for a while now and it seems definitly the best way to use the best from both cars to make one great car out of them :) I will poste more pictures of the rust on the black one next time im working on the car if i remember but it's really worse than it looks while the white one is really better than it looks :)

Okay. But the white one also needs new floors right? If I read it correctly. I used to have a project like you, even worse on rust in the past, look here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/your-zcar-stories/29248-240z-long-way-new-again-4.html#post420583

But it went wrong because I cut it up to fast without looking the original factory lines on the floor. And I was still unknown with bodywork like you. I admire your dedication for restoring a European 240Z, since they are so much more rusted usually.

My dad also had a 240z in the past, where he also replaced the entire front end, like you want to do. So it is possible.

Another option is keep looking for other better shells to start with, it's basically up to how much work do you want to spend and the end result.. :classic:

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Nothing big, just started removing random bits in the engine bay of chassis Nr II:

1) Air Filter:

P1080249-Kopie.jpg

P1080250-Kopie.jpg

2) Air vent pipes (totally brittly):

P1080253-Kopie.jpg

3) Hood rod:

P1080254-Kopie.jpg

4) Service Lamp

P1080255-Kopie.jpg

4) VIN Tag Plate:

P1080256-Kopie.jpg

Then found this guy helping me out in the Garage :)

P1080260-Kopie-Kopie.jpg

5) Collection of random removed pieces:

P1080261-Kopie.jpg

Nils,

If you want a new engine bay inspection light I just ordered one for my 280z. Its still available in the Nissan dealers in NL but under another nr. 26740-10W00. I had a bit of trouble tracking the new number down. Its for the 720 trucks up to 1986.

A lot of people think they are NLA because they cant find the older numbers in the system.

Chas

Part number for 240Z inspection light should be 26740-89904

see here: Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z Room Lamp & Inspection Lamp

thanks a lot. not sure if i will restore it, remove it or replace it. actually thats least important on my to do list at the moment - but thanks for your Input! Allways appreciate help and ideas :)

That part nr 89904 was for all the Datsuns until 1983 including the 280ZX, but for some reason then they changed the number to 10W00. Just noticed it in your photo's and thought you might be planning to fix it or get a new one.

It only cost €25.00 so restoring it is generally a waste of time and if its anything like mine the plastic lens crumbles in your hand if you squeeze it a little.

The engine bay looks like it in good condition. A bit dirty but no noticable rust or damage.

Well haha, a Picture uf my Zed's glovebox i made at the beginning of my project was featured in the #IAMTHESPEEDHUNTER Programme Detail theme on Car Culture at Large - Speedhunters and i'm very proud of it, beeing a daily Speedhunters reader :)

NilsEhrat.jpg

post-23319-14150822618927_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch

haha yeah, if you mean the g-nose zed,

iheartstance

have been following her for a while :)

Yes same car, and bet you couldn't catch her.:classic::)

Removed some random bits in the engine bay again :)

1) Ignition coil bracket & Resistor:

P1080272-Kopie.jpg

2) Front bumper support brackets and Radiator:

P1080274-Kopie.jpg

P1080277-Kopie.jpg

3) Ignition wires and Distributor cap:

P1080279-Kopie.jpg

4) Started removing the carbs and other stuff but then a friend showed up and we started to chat so i left it like this:

P1080280-Kopie.jpg

Hope to get more done soon - want to have the white chassis out of the rain and back in the garage :)

Hi Nils,

Im amazed that the front end is in such good condition and the rest badly rusted. It must of had some pretty bad water leaks in the cabin or the PM left that dam sunroof open when he parked it:ermm:

Cool website, speedhunters:love:

Chas