IGNORED

Doing laps *incar videos*

260DET

I'm looking forward to seeing your video Rob. Post it again when the link is fixed. Now that I'm sort of Youtube savy, here are two in car videos from this Summer. The first one is of a great race against national and, of course, our regional cars at Sears Point to include a 350Z, and the second is of me doing a huge spin out at Laguna Seca during qualifying. It was looking like a fast one too.

Coop

I'm looking forward to seeing your video Rob. Post it again when the link is fixed. Now that I'm sort of Youtube savy, here are two in car videos from this Summer. The first one is of a great race against national and, of course, our regional cars at Sears Point to include a 350Z, and the second is of me doing a huge spin out at Laguna Seca during qualifying. It was looking like a fast one too.

Coop

Hey Coop, do you like your wink mirror? I used one for a few races and hated it. I switched to a panoramic mirror with huge improvements in vision. The other thing I notice is that it looks like you have a lot of bump steer. I moved my LCA pivots up and mine is now rock solid. My street Z is still stock and it is just like your race car. The wheel is all over the place through bumpy curves.

Nice video, BTW! Looks like fun.

Coop, I have one of those Wink mirrors as well. Mine is mounted much higher on the windshield than yours. I haven't decided on whether to keep it or not so I'm also interested on what you think of yours and how you keep it from vibrating with the mounting arms being so long. Outstanding driving by the way!

Jeff,

The Wink mirror is OK. I've had it for years and have never tried any other type so don't know about the panoramic mirror.

As far as bump steer goes, IT rules don't allow bump steer spacers so the most that can be done, which I've done, is adjust the eccentric bushings to the 12 O'clock position to minimize bump steer. Also, I drive the absolute stink out of this car and am constantly making lots of very small and sometimes very large adjustments to the steering wheel throughout the course. It is at the limit most of the time as the back end is trying to come around. I also pitch the car when entering corners to set up the drift angles I want. Not everyone drives this way. It is a compromise since I am not allowed an aero package so I have to set the car up that will understeer in the tight stuff and oversteer in the fast stuff. At some courses such as Reno Fernley, I can only go flat through the extremely fast esses when I install the rear vintage spoiler.

For sure, this is an old car with lots of limitations in the suspension so I just toss it, catch it, and then steer with throttle. Try teaching that at driver school. This all was way more difficult back when the diff was welded up. What a hand full. I've watched some of my friend's in car footage of the same races and when you look at their steering wheel, it hardly moves at all. They just turn into the corner and drive through with little or no correction. They are also a lot slower and are nowhere getting the most out of their cars.

Most folks drive Miatas now which are amazing handling cars with good brakes. A friend sold his Z, hopped in a Miata and immediately went two seconds faster. He said that the Miata was much easier to drive so there it is. I refuse to go the Miata route. Not gunna do it, wouldn't be prudent(George H. W. Bush).

Steve,

The reason the mirror sits so low is that my seat is slammed down on the floor. Mounting the mirror up high would require that I look at a greater angle off the driving line. I basically like everything right in front of me. For racing purposes only as they say. I use two long brackets, one on each end off the mirror, that I fabricated out of mild steel. Nothing fancy, just bent at right angles and hose clamped to the roll cage forward, upper, cross tube. It doesn't vibrate all that much but I use it for only a glance now and then as I'm otherwise busy. Now for a street car, vibration and a low mounting position would be a nuisance for sure. Jeff mentioned the panoramic mirror which seems quite reasonable.

Coop, I got my panoramic mirror from IOPort. I really like it. For 24 hour races, rear vision is critical and the wink just made a mess of all the headlights.

I figured you couldn't change your geometry. That sucks. Your hands never stop moving. Nice driving!

Edited by Jeff G 78