IGNORED

Floor Pans... Getting screwed?

oranngetang

I am getting my 70' 240Z ready for an inspection so I can get it on the road. There is some major corrosion/mechanical damage to the floor pans on both sides, so feeling that I wanted this done properly (I do own a Mig welder and have the tools to do it myself), I took it to a body shop in town. We havn't agreed ona price yet, but I'll be supplying the floor pans for the repairs.

How many hours would it take for a professional bodyman to cut out the old floors and weld in the new ones and seat supports? I'm getting a vibe of 2000-3000 dollars so, 20-30 hours respectively, which seems like a lot. I think for about 10 hours I could do this myself, with no prior training. The pans as you're familiar with are about $500 to my hands (Zedd Findings / Bad Dog).

I'm going in towmorrow morning to talk with the guy about it after we look at the car. What is the maximum amount of hours I should be looking at.. Floor pans and supports ONLY.

I am getting my 70' 240Z ready for an inspection so I can get it on the road. There is some major corrosion/mechanical damage to the floor pans on both sides, so feeling that I wanted this done properly (I do own a Mig welder and have the tools to do it myself), I took it to a body shop in town. We havn't agreed ona price yet, but I'll be supplying the floor pans for the repairs.

How many hours would it take for a professional bodyman to cut out the old floors and weld in the new ones and seat supports? I'm getting a vibe of 2000-3000 dollars so, 20-30 hours respectively, which seems like a lot. I think for about 10 hours I could do this myself, with no prior training. The pans as you're familiar with are about $500 to my hands (Zedd Findings / Bad Dog).

I'm going in towmorrow morning to talk with the guy about it after we look at the car. What is the maximum amount of hours I should be looking at.. Floor pans and supports ONLY.

Hi, Iwork in the collision repair business and have done the z floor pans. You should expect the repair shop to be able to do the floor pans in approx. 20 hours. The labor rate for shops in my area is 42.00 per hour but some shops may require more if they feel this falls under restoration work

I've installed a few Zedd Findings floors and frames. I think from start to finish it takes about 40 hours. That includes removing the interior and finishing with seam sealer and paint. I just did this on my race car and it's really not a bad job. You should consider doing it yourself. Keep in mind that these projects take a lot more time than you think.

Chuck

I'm trying to find a supplier that carries these parts together. Is there such a place?

MSA only carries the floor pans with a ~20% mark-up that I can deal with but, no rails, or seat brackets.

Z Car Source carries only the floor pans with a ~75% !!!! mark-up and only used seat brackets.

Bid Dog doesn't list their seat brackets, but doesn't appear to carry any floor pans.

Zedd Findings, has the best price since they appear to be the source but only supplies pans.

Showcars Bodyparts supplies seat brackets, pans and front frame rails, which appear to be Bad Dog / Zedd Findings, but I can't get a hold of them and their website looks to be about 15 years old... Has anyone dealt with them before? The markup on their parts seems to be the most reasonable and they carry all the parts one would need.

I used to be a reseller of the Zedd Findings floors and frames. They're very close replicas of the originals. The first item in the link below is for the floors and supports (aka frame rails) for $299.

http://datsunzparts.com/floorandrails.htm

DO NOT USE SHOWCAR BODYPARTS!!! 99% of the stories I've heard about them have been bad. They're known for taking months or years to deliver parts and sometimes never deliver at all.

Chuck

I would NOT use Show Car Body Parts, as I have in the past . They will never send you your items if you order them. Also, as I stated earlier, 20 hours is fair for installing the floorpans if you have taken everything out for the technician.

Zed findings is based in Ontario, so you should order the floor pans from them, any of the re-sellers will be US based and you will have a duty charge to ship a Canadian product to you from the US.