IGNORED

[2012] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

not today but over the last week, I adjusted my valves, rebuilt both the SUs, changed the oil in the engine and transmission, replace flexible clutch hose and clutch master cylinder, and replaced the battery, perhaps today I might try to crank her up and maybe even take it around a block.

After a mid week crisis with ORANGINA, she is now back to norm, yesterday morning she got a wax and shine treatment, today she will have her cabin detailed, she's getting ready for Sunday's local car event.:cool: Next Sunday the 510 will be attending the Sunday ritual.;)

Edited by 72 OJ

What did I do today (actually yesterday)? My daughter and I drove from Fairland OK. to Sioux Falls SD and then on to home (Wisconsin) to pick up a complete L28 engine. Was a great 900 mile day but we safely at touched down safely at home. The engine has 44,000 on and the price was right, free.

I finally installed the 280ZX distributor in my 73. I'll test it tomorrow after Caffeine & Octane.

Well, after I got back from the car show, I removed the valve cover & spark plugs. I put oil in each cylinder & all over the cam. I put back on the valve cover and went to turn over the engine with the starter, only to find that I forgot to keep the trickle charger plugged in. Whoops, dead battery. The voltage was too low to use the bigger charger, so I put on the trickle charger for a few minutes. After I got the battery up to 10 volts, I switched over to the big charger to recharge the battery.

After a couple of hours charging, I used the starter to turn over the motor. I then put in the plugs and attached the wires. I sprayed in some starting fluid and cranked the engine. It fired but soon died. That wasn't too surprising for two years sitting dormant. I used a little more starting fluid and got the car started again, only to die again quickly. Only this time I saw it has spit out some gas. I then coaxed She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) to crank the engine while I watched. I saw the gas spitting out and pulled the float vent tubes from the air cleaner & plugged them with my fingers. SWMBO cranked the engine again. It sputtered and spit like crazy. SWMBO turned off the car and went back inside. She was done with the smell of gasoline for the day. I moved the plunger up and down in the back carb, but I couldn't get it to move much on the front. Heck with that. I pulled the dome off and moved the piston up and down. Then I put the dome back on.

I reattached the vent tubes, crossed my fingers and tried again. The engine cranked, fired and ran! Woo hoo! Success! I yelled, "It's alive! It's alive!" (Young Frankenstein reference) Now I can go to setting the timing and taking care of the myriad of issues that need to be addressed before putting her back on the road. (The 73, not SWMBO)

What's more expensive than fixing up a Z car? Fixing up more than one Z car. :)

Pulled the intercooler, the radiator, the cam. Installed a new cam, new rockers, and prepped the new aluminum radiator and e-fan for assembly tomorrow. Checked head torque. That's it for today #my back speaking.

Decided to remove the ac unit from under the glovebox on my 72. Had already taken off all the hoses pully and other items under the hood. Installed the msa firewall insulator. And marveled at how good the z is looking.