IGNORED

Rear wheel bearings and seals

Ben's Z

Ouch! I'm glad I got mine when I did... I bought all the rear stuff in August 2012 and I paid about $100 for 2 inner, 2 outer, and 2 grease seals. I'm thinking they must have been trying to get rid of old stock? :(

They went from their shelf to mine... Been sitting on my shelf until I put them in about two days ago.

Speaking or rear wheel bearings... I've got my bearings in, but I haven't finalized the retaining nut.

What's the consensus at this point? Use the peened over style like original stock, or use the self locking ZX style? Thanks to Blue's writeup at AtlanticZ, I got pics. From http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips//rearwheelbearings/index.html

Here's the peened style that was originally on the car:

013.jpg

And here's the self locking ZX style they went to in later years:

83nuts.jpg

Is there anyone who thinks the original style are still better, or is everyone using the newer self locking style from the ZX?

You'll lose points at the concourse with the ZX nuts. But you'll have an easier time in the future if you ever decide to install an adapter flange for CV axles or 5 lug wheels. ZX nuts give you flexibility. Plus the fact, although unlikely, that your new bearings are damaged and need another replacement. You might need to remove them again. I vote for the ZX nuts just in case the axle needs to come out again.

I see no reason to avoid the ZX nuts. I purchased everything from Motorsport and they only sell "Z/ZX spindle nuts". I'm assuming they don't carry the old peened Z nut but maybe I'll call and confirm.

Tamo, do you know if those are the Z style that gets peened, or the ZX style which apparently is self locking?

Edit: I checked with Motorsport and they sell the Z-style nut which requires peening to lock. Sounds like unnecessary additional hassle to me!

Edited by bacarl