IGNORED

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

• 2 weeks later...

Finally switched out my battery cables...Used 2/0 ground, and 1/0 starter positive,(replacing the original tiny cables) and additional grounds to firewall(4 guage) and from intake manifold to inner fender(8 guage.) All connections heat-shrunk and new marine-grade terminals,covers, and cable used...Better than new.:cool:

tommorrow I hope to swap my headlight harness's(originals old and loose-fitting to headlight,potential for meltdown...) and install new marker lights, if they ever arrive...

post-20848-14150814337182_thumb.jpg

Worked on the carbs last night, cleaned the fouled plugs and re-discovered it's running way too rich. Also found one of the steering boots is torn and what I hope was just water but may be a leaking head gasket...more meds please.

Must be in the air - seeping head gasket. I took mine for a ride today, but before doing so was checking things out under the hood and noticed the seep.

Misery loves company but remember, a bad day in Abq still beats a good day in Middle GA.

Nice warm sunny day here so out in the driveway:

Dremel and die grinder got friendly with Maxima N47. Had an E31 next to it to compare and test cutters, sanding, rolls and technique before committing.

The N47 is a very nice head stock. It is very easy to see the squish area in comparison to E31 as well as the brass seats of the E31. Most of the N47 chamber was laid back nicely with only a few sharp edges to address. I just had to soften the edge of the squish area, the edge was caused by the skimming mill. I also had the machine shop cut back the exhaust valve guides to the roof so it should flow nicely.

Cleaned up /blended the passages below the valve seat with dremel (head upside down)... especially on the short radius side of the intake. Used my finger to feel what was going on.... seemed like best technique.

Used die grinder on the manifold side to clean up the casting. I may sand the intakes with a flapper wheel extended on a drill but it looks pretty good as is.

Any last minute suggestions?

post-7641-14150814466772_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150814467518_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue
pics added