IGNORED

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

Your compression numbers are low but this could be from how you tested it. they are consistent witch is very good. Try spraying some pentrating oil in the spark plug hole and let it sit this will help the rings loosen up some. Also with the plugs pulled test the force it takes to turn the engine this is a good test to see if the parts are dragging a little or they are heavily worn in the engine.

I have been soaking with a 50/50 acetone/ATF mix overnight, then a spin with no plug to clear the cylinder. Start and run up to temperature, shut down, repeat.

Tested compression with engine warm, all plugs removed, butterflies and slides propped open, one cylinder at a time. What numbers should I see?

The starter spins it really fast and easily with no plugs, kind of tough to turn using my hands on the front pulley. A PO installed an oversized fan and I can't get a good grip.

I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers, more concerned with how even they are. (And that looks good.) Every gauge is different, so direct comparisons are tough to make.

But that said, readings in the 170 range don't sound at all out of line to me.

Today: Hardest part I have replaced on the Z... LOL

post-21059-14150815385951_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow (hopefully):

I got both bumper guard rubber pieces, the other one is not damaged, but will be replaced anyway.

post-21059-14150815386878_thumb.jpg

Aside from getting a new fan clutch and flushing the hell out of the radiator, hopefully these will help my Z run cooler :cool:

post-21059-14150815386414_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815387267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Decoy12

Today got the passenger side frame rail patched (trying to weld laying on your back is a PITA). To date have replaced all bushings, struts, brakes, flex brake lines, ball joints, steering rod ends, welded new driver side rail and floor pan, new metal in the front wheel wells, gutted the interior, pulled the engine and tranny, removed all the lights, removed all the glass and all weatherstripping, started sanding for primer coat (hopefully in the next 2 weeks) then final paint (Daytona Yellow).

Aside from getting a new fan clutch and flushing the hell out of the radiator, hopefully these will help my Z run cooler :cool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46283[/ATTACH]

Have you considered a Cooling agent in the radiator? Red Line makes a product called "Water Wetter". look into it.

Zs-ondabrain: I actually did put water wetter when I first got the Z... but I have never taken the radiator out to flush it and I think I should have it boiled/rodded and pressure tested. My priorities are screwed up I suppose. I also need to fix the dash/side/parking light problem. I read an old thread on how you said to test for it, but the other member had a 280z... I don't suppose it is much different. Thanks for your help and suggestions Dave!

It's basically the same for most S30's. I don't know what's wrong with your Parking light circuit but if they don't work, check the fuse (3rd fuse down on the right) with and actual test light. Also test the green/white and green/blue wires at the combo switch. If you have power at the switch, flip the switch to the first click and see if there is output on the other wire..

PM sent in 3 minutes.

Dave

Spent most of the day prepping my gold Z for the Dana Point Concours. I am entered in the "Sports Cars Postwar under 3 Liters to 1972" Class. We'll see how it goes. While prepping, looked at the passenger door and this is what I saw, so thought I would post it. Thought it looked cool.

Rich

post-19125-14150815404642_thumb.jpg

Since the gas prices have dropped I decided to fire the old gal up for a drink of BP high test. So, when came out of the store a lady was out my Z. She said, we have one of those. Her husband spoke up and said, no dear we have a 81Zx. I gave her a TZC card. So when I arrived back home,I wiped her down. She is currently taking a nap.

I am currently trying to repair a couple interior pieces, and make a new one. The two I'm repairing are the left lower dash cover and the right foot well harness cover. the foot well cover is getting so,me aluminum angle reinforcement, and should be done.

The lower dash cover has the end broken off, by the hood handle, so I can't see where it attaches, and I would like to ask if anyone has a good closeup photo of that end, or just the entire part. Attached are two photos of the broken end, and the lower dash cover itself.

The part I would like to make is a nice plastic cover for the right side, where the fusebox is on a 280Z. There is an unsightly fiberboard panel there and I would rather see a nicer cover, like the one on the left side, that covers ECU.

post-2169-1415081545743_thumb.jpg

post-2169-14150815457991_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomoHawk