IGNORED

Are there differences between bodies?

BMFC

I've found a rust free shell of a "71 280Z"? I still haven't found out what it is but I thinking of checking it out. Who knows what year it is but I was wondering if there are any body changes that would stop me from swapping everything from my 78 with some rust to this body. My car isn't a lost cause but it is rough. Here is a link to some pics on my car if anyone is interested. Thanks.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/Brentadour/1978%20280Z/

A 71 is a 240 there are many changes between the two bodies some are cosmetic (bumpers .Tailights, valances ) many are structural (The 280 has bigger frame rails) , as far as the main body the doors do NOT interchange neither will the suspension .If you want to change over the Fuel injection you will need a 75-76 gas tank the 77-78 will not work in a 240 body due to the spare tire well (Another difference in the bodies ).

Edited by jellobob777

BMFC If its the "Rust Free" shell in Delaware i hope they told you the frame rails have been cut out of it on both sides ,so its going to take a bit of welding to start with .

That might be it. I still haven't heard back from the seller.

Thanks for the answers guy, Well see what happens from here.

Over the years I have talked to so many (car guys, but not really Z guys) who say, "wow, I really like your 280z" I think alot of people didn't really know the Datsuns were around in the early 70's, but later really got popular with the 75' though 82's, and those were all 280's or 280zx. I had alot of people call mine a zx also. Also, maybe the car is a 71 shell, but the guy doesn't know what he has and you could really haggle him down!

If its the same car i talked with the seller the day he listed it(Its blue and in Delaware) . The frame rails had been cut out of it so that stronger ones could be fabricated but nothing beyond cutting out the old ones was ever done . It is listed as "Rust Free" but he did say there was some rust . Its an absolutely bare shell with no suspension or dash/wiring, glass ,doors ,hatch,fenders or hood , since he did not have the dash the Vin tag was not there either .The asking price was $400 , he did not know much about Z cars but i did not ask if he was negotiable on the price.