IGNORED

JDM Headlight cover difference.

esprist

I've marked Kat's drawing - with some notes. The "new style" / "old style" used in the discussion seemed confusing to me. So does "earlier" and "later" - -

My OEM/NOS set, packaged in the brown box, marked with the 63900-E4126 & 63901-E4126 numbers are the "new style" on Kat's noted drawing. They have black rubber & the OEM mounting hardware.

Looking at Ron's trim rings - I'd say his are also the new style - according to Kat's drawing noted.

In the original Post - the headlight cover sitting on the new Red/white/blue box - would seem to be the Old Style - as noted in Kats drawings. {the front mounting hole is only a couple inches from the top edge}.

Do I have kat's drawing marked wrong??

FWIW,

Carl

post-3609-14150812871449_thumb.jpg

All that said, the set I received, as shown above, is the reproduction set. The hardware and mounting instruction sheet are exactly as 26th-Z posted. (original)

I'm very disappointed.

Is there any workaround for making these fit, or are they high priced junk??

and later

By the way, the reproduction ones have gray rubber gasket all the way around while Genuine

ones have glued black rubber that is almost impossible to remove.

Zup - are you still following this? The covers you bought seem to have the black rubber around them. At least the one's pictures on E-Bay do. Do the one's you received have gray rubber? If so, can you post a picture of the gray rubber?

FWIW,

Carl B.

It seems the best deal was had by "d51298" in this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=260690504728&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D260690504728%26_sacat%3D0%26_dmpt%3DMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories%26_odkw%3D240z%26_osacat%3D0%26_trksid%3Dp3286.c0.m270.l1313%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=. A set of part numbers 63900-E4126 and 63901-E4126 "in as new condition" still in the boxes for $350, only missing the hardware set from the passenger side.

-Mike

We almost had these reproduced Will "hls30.com" tried to reproduce these. I don't know him very well and it sounds like it ended very badly from the forum, but thought we should link that forum a lot of data came out of it.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14343&highlight=chrome+headlight+covers

I've always wanted a set but never was the highest bidder or lucky enough to find them. What is the back of the rings like? I have never seen pictures of that side, always the top. Also how thick was the rubber?, and does someone make or can make just the lenses in any size order without the rings?

Do I have kat's drawing marked wrong??

Yes Carl, you did mark Kat's drawing wrong. You have "old style" & "new style" reversed. I have not seen your NOS set but I know from the part numbers you quoted, 63900-E4126 & 63901-E4126 that yours are the originals found in the 1970 FairladyZ option parts list. They will have trim rings with the holes positioned the same as mine. The easiest way to get in the habit of "getting it right" is to note if the forward leading hole is on top or coming from the bottom, when mounted, if that makes sense to you. Just look at the picture with the two OEM "types" side by side. The original "early" is on the left and the "later" is on the right.

The auction MikeB linked was the deal of the month. Those are the original "real deal", just like yours Carl.

The part numbers for the "later" style (for lack of better terminology) are, 63900-E8726 & 63901-E8726.

Edited by geezer

ajmcforester - Here is a shot of the backside. If you can see past the glare, you can see how each is built from two pieces and welded together. I had these rechromed and they are actually much better looking than when new. The original "fit & finish" was not all that great on these.

Thanks Ron so they are made like I thought they were. I wish my grand father was around all I would need is to borrow someones and I know he could do it and probably make 20 or more in the first day. Now his brother is good I'll show the picture to him, I might have a project next time I'm in Michigan. If I learn a good way to make these I'll share with you guys how.

There are several members here who have a NOS set of the original "early" headlight covers, still in the original boxes that I know of. They would be able to verify the hole positions as well as the part numbers of their set and I am certain the numbers will coincide with what is stated in post 41. Over the past several years whenever a set of OEM, NOS covers came up for sale, they were the "early" version.

Heres what I know. The first documentation I have of 63900-E4126 & 63901-E4126 is in the Nissan 1970 FairladyZ parts catalog Model S30-PS30. It is the very last 2 part numbers listed under the heading of Option Parts. I was a little surprized that Kats didn't happen across that listing, when I was looking at his hole description sheet and seen the "mystery" notation. The first pic below is labeled as H_Covers73CompCatalog, which leads me to believe there was quite a stockpile of the "early" version still available long after the superceded "later" version appeared. I'm not sure of the date of availability for 63900-E8726 & 63901-E8726, but according to the notation in Kat's hole description sheet they were seen "from the beginning" in Japan. All the "later" type I have seen have been removed from FairladyZs. I've never seen a NOS "later" set come up for sale but maybe I just didn't notice. The last two pics are just a couple of good example pics, from the recent Ebay auction that Mike B linked in post#39 of the "early" type.

EDIT:Added Kat's hole location sheet pic

Edited by geezer

Someone at Hybridz has a supposedly NOS set listed in the classifieds. They are asking $1,250 http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/96453-nos-parts/

-Mike

I asked for pics, not because I am interested in buying them but it would add to the information base of this thread and perhaps help others in the future make better informed decisions when shopping for a set of headlight covers.