IGNORED

JDM Headlight cover difference.

esprist

I've been following this thread for several days with keen interest.

I bid on and won this auction (E-bay #300490744688) offered by Eiji Hosami. (Datsun Spirit)

I wouldn't have bothered if it weren't for the fact that he was the seller. It distresses me to see reports otherwise,

"otherwise"??? Are you saying that it wasn't really Eiji selling these?

All that said, the set I received, as shown above, is the reproduction set.

How do you know that they are a reproduction set - and not NOS? Exactly what is different?

thanks,

Carl B.

I'm very disappointed.

Is there any workaround for making these fit, or are they high priced junk??

So you're the one that outbid me , eh ? :)

You then have them already to know that they don't fit ?

As I have gathered , the genuine Nissan ''reproduction'' covers are the ones that don't have any future defects without modification of some sort.

And, now that I'm really looking at them, they ARE mismatched ! The screw holes are in different locations.

Wait , are we looking at the same pics of the ones that you won ? I think I'm confused ......

Edited by Unkle

Zup won this auction. Different auction, same seller. I'm not going to sh!tmouth anyones buddy here but decide for yourself, if there is any deception in this ad and does he not know what he is selling?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=300490744688&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D300490744688%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=

See now I get it - same seller, different items . My ebay notifier read '' seller has relisted these items '' and I took it for granted these were the same .

Even the description is the same , save for the bad mouthing of Australian and Canadians - as if our money spends differently , like the peso .;)

- as if our money spends differently , like the peso .;)

Unkle - your money doesn't spend any differently ... I believe that the problem is - as was noted by someone earlier - he paid someone in Mexico and the seller disappeared. Buying/Selling within the US carries with it some legal protections, that do not apply, or can not be applied when buying/selling out of your own country. Hate to say it, but the level of outright criminal activity just grows and grows on the Internet.

On top of that - if there is a problem - international shipping charges can quickly exceed the price of the item, or turn any sale into a loss of money. No reason to assume all these risks - if you can just as easily find a buyer in your own country.

FWIW,

Carl B.

the problem is - as was noted by someone earlier - he paid someone in Mexico and the seller disappeared.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The peso reference was toungue in cheek - I was the buyer who got ripped off by the Mexican seller - but lucky me Mastercard refunded my money.....:)

Carl, you would know - is there a decent repro set available that's tried and true ?

The peso reference was toungue in cheek - I was the buyer who got ripped off by the Mexican seller

The -.. "he paid someone in Mexico" - was also toungue in cheek. ROFL

- but lucky me Mastercard refunded my money.....:)

That is good to hear and also good to know.

Carl, you would know - is there a decent repro set available that's tried and true ?

I have an NOS set, so I really have no experience with the repro sets.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Chris, Esprist, Anyone, I need professional help here.There are a few points I would like to clarify. Starting from post #1. Esprist referred to the sellers pic and said the headlight cover on the right was the early version, driver's side (assuming LHD). Also, Esprist believed the covers were sitting on the wrong boxes (switched). Isn't the original, early version the one on the left and sitting atop the correct box?

I hope so, because I have always thought that my rings were the early type which coincide with #63900-E4126 & #63901-E4126.The rings I have are the same as depicted in the instruction sheet, with the holes oriented the same. I believe the cover on the right in the pic is the later #63901-E8726.

Which brings me to this. I remember a while back, reading a post where a member used his OEM rings on a set of reproduction lenses because of the difficulty of fitting the repro rings. I can't remember the members ID but can remember the car and installation pic. It was IIRC, a red Z with the front bumper rubber removed. Anyone remember it? Now, I am wondering which OEM rings were used on his repro lenses. I am going to look for that post again.

EDIT:Found it, it was 240ZGL. He has the later OEM style which allowed him to mix n match and looks great!:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=322187&postcount=11

Well, I did not know anthing about different types of headlight cover until my master Katz made a detailed coment last year

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31601

By the way, the reproduction ones have gray rubber gasket all the way around while Genuine

ones have glued black rubber that is almost impossible to remove.

post-16910-14150812871007_thumb.jpg

^

This is what I would make out of stainless for repro sets from zccjdm.com.

Has anybody bought these yet ?

Any reviews to share ? :paranoid:

I believe the guy that operates zccjdm.com is a member here and this is a post he made about the reproductions he sells http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=275419&postcount=25.

I have one set of lenses and rings that were supposedly OEM, but without the hardware or the boxes (makes me think they are actually repros). I also have one set of used rings that I am certain must be OEM because I got them from an older local guy that had kept them from a car he had years ago. No hardware for them either, but that seems to be fairly easy to recreate. I'll have to dig them out later and see exactly what I have.

-Mike

I believe the guy that operates zccjdm.com is a member here and this is a post he made about the reproductions he sells http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=275419&postcount=25.

I have one set of lenses and rings that were supposedly OEM, but without the hardware or the boxes (makes me think they are actually repros). I also have one set of used rings that I am certain must be OEM because I got them from an older local guy that had kept them from a car he had years ago. No hardware for them either, but that seems to be fairly easy to recreate. I'll have to dig them out later and see exactly what I have.

-Mike

There is only one kind of reproduction JDM type headlight covers. His is from Japan as well. And I know who has the mold and sells them. It is about 24000Yen Plus shipping. So about $300 at cost if you bring few.

These are made in China and lenses are OK but the rings are unbelievable shape (mot even streight) and very poor chome quality.

I wish this was the later type lenses....

There is only one kind of reproduction JDM type headlight covers....I wish this was the later type lenses....

You are making the same mistake again. These lenses will fit with the "later" OEM trim rings but will not fit with the original OEM "early" trim rings.

-First pic - "later" OEM trim rings mounted on reproduction lenses.

-Second pic - OEM "later" lense & trim ring

-Third pic - OEM original "early" lense & trim ring on the left, OEM "later" lense & trim ring on the right

I know it can be confusing and I think you are referring to the shape of the lense and not what it will fit or match up with.

Edited by geezer

You are making the same mistake again. These lenses will fit with the "later" OEM trim rings but will not fit with the original OEM "early" trim rings.

-First pic - "later" OEM trim rings mounted on reproduction lenses.

-Second pic - OEM "later" lense & trim ring

-Third pic - OEM original "early" lense & trim ring on the left, OEM "later" lense & trim ring on the right

I know it can be confusing and I think you are referring to the shape of the lense and not what it will fit or match up with.

Ok...Well do they have different parts# between old ones and new ones?

If so, early production ones are better made than later ones.......